Tank Matinence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

About How Much Time Monthly Do You Spend On Tank Matinence?

• 20-30 min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-40 min

• 41-50 min

• 51-60 minutes

• Over An Hour

• Over 2 Hours

• Total voters

honmol

Aquarium Advice Activist
How Much Time Do You Spend Monthly On Your Tank? (Feeding fish, trimming any plants, cleaning substrate, PWC, basic matinence)

How Big Is Your Tank?

What Do You Spend Your Tank Matinence Time On?

What Type Of Fish Do You Have?

I'm trying to figure out if I have time to maintain another tank. The last 3 questions help me to know If I'll be spending more or less time on it, or indeed any time at all.

About how much time do you spend on an average day?

I'm not counting things like watching your fish for this question. Just your daily tank matinence.

honmol said:
How Much Time Do You Spend Monthly On Your Tank? (Feeding fish, trimming any plants, cleaning substrate, PWC, basic matinence)

At least 2 hours a week.

How Big Is Your Tank?
125 gal, 29 gal, 15 gal, 20gal, 33 gal
pwc's, rearranging, cleaning glass in tank and out, trimming plants, water parameter checks.
peacock cichlids, CAE, angelfish, cories, mollies, serpae tetras, zebra tetras, neon tetras, guppies, common plecos, BN pleco, Gold nugget pleco, bala shark, yoyo loaches, clown loaches, goldfish, gourami's, platies.
watching the tanks, lots LOL, some days I do nothing but watch them some days I'll spend 2 hours on them. It all depends.

For my 26G, takes less than 10 minutes to do a PWC, about every 8-10 days. Then once a month I remove all ornaments and do a complete gravel vac and do a 40-50% PWC, as that's how much water is removed when I do the gravel vac, two 5 gallon buckets. Takes maybe 30 minutes at most.

I'd say about 40 mins for my 50 gal. Hopefully I can cut that down when I get a python.

honmol said:

How Big Is Your Tank?

I'm trying to figure out if I have time to maintain another tank. The last 3 questions help me to know If I'll be spending more or less time on it, or indeed any time at all.

I'm not counting things like watching your fish for this question. Just your daily tank matinence.
We spend about five to six (5-6) hours per week on feeding/maintenance.
We currently are running a one (1) 75gal and two (2) 10gal tanks.
We've a 8.5+" (SL) Oscar in the 75gal and various species in the 10's.
Daily,
Physical appearance check and headcount, feedings, check temps, check tanks/filters for normal operation. avg 5-10 min
Weekly,
Wednesday- test NO3 and PWC/GV if necessary in the 75. avg 15-30min
Saturday- test NH3, NO2, NO3, PH, GH & KH in all tanks, mandatory PWC/GV in all tanks, check filters. avg 1.- 1.25 hrs
Bi-weekly,
address any maintenance on tanks and/or filters if needed. avg 15-30min

Countless hours enjoying our fish! Our Oscar 'Allanon' is a treasured pet, more than just a fish... :wink:

It really depends, per week or per tank per week?

On my bigger tank I spend 30-40 min, clearing out hair algea, trimming plants and fixing things. The other tanks, like 10-20 min.

30 gallon tank fully planted..work on it atleast 10mins a day ....then 10% change once a week clean various things.. takes about a hour

other 30 gallon ..all fake plants ... 30mins clean sides and do water change

2 - 10 gallons - 30 mins for both ...clean crap and 10% water change

Anywhere between 3-4 hours a week depending on what I have to do.

How Big Is Your Tank?
Two 75 gallon, two 55 gallon, 40 gallon long, 40 gallon breeder, two 30 gallon, 29 gallon, 15 gallon.

Water changes, gravel vacs, wiping the glass, cleaning the filters and prefilter sponges, trimming plants and replanting as needed, arranging decor, checking on the health of the fish, checking water parameters.

Discus (wild and domestic), severums, plecs(15), cories, mollies, goodieds, bettas, rainbowfish(Turquoise and Boesmani), synos, N. leleupi, N. tretocephalus, A. calvus, J. transcriptus, tiger barbs, cherry barbs, clown loaches, striped raphael, bleeding heart tetras, red phantom tetras, black phantom tetras, three-striped African glass cats, glowlight tetras, congo tetras, dwarf loaches (sids), yoyo loaches, Botia robusta, Paralabidochromis sp. "rock kribensis", Bolivian rams, skunk loaches. I think that's all of them.:)

Daily I just check to make sure that everything is running like it's supposed to and check the tanks for any deaths that may have occured. I check their health during feedings. Probably a half hour to forty five minutes every day. A little longer when I do extra water changes on the discus tank.

Bryan

honmol said:

How Big Is Your Tank?
125g, 10g, 6g

pwcs. pwcs, ferts, pruning plants, water tests
i spend about 2-3 hours a week on the big tank. thank god for the python! the other 2 are pretty much self sustaining and only require

very heavily stocked. cyprinids (denisonii barbs, saes, drape fins), loaches (4 big clowns, yoyos and angelicus), LOTS of plecos, tetras (red phantoms, rosy, glolights, rummynose), praecox rainbows, snails and assorted others

15-30 minutes (unless i'm doing a pwc). but i'm a perfectionist and am always pruning the plants (which get out of control overnight!) but that's only the big tank. i hardly touch the other 2 (except for pwcs bi-weekly)--they are MUCH less work.

At least 2 hours a week..
How Big Is Your Tank?
29gal and 10 gal

PWC, Cleaning inside and outside glass, dead leaves removal, monthly clean my filter sponge

Corys, Rainbows, Angels, Balloon Mollies, Oto, Danios, Bolivian Rams, Tetras...

Watch fishes for atleast 30 minutes a day. Look for signs of stress or weird movements or stuff in the tank.

I love my fish tank But my wife doesnt :wink:

Yep my wife say's I love my fish more than her!

Who am I to dispute a genius like her :jump:

At least 2 hrs a week maintenance on my 55g and 25g tanks.

Only thing I hate doing is cleaning the tubes on my 2 external filters its a pain! But has to be done once a week.

Anyone got any hair brain schemes to make it easier I break my arm using a brush each week. :twisted:

1) Monthly about 4 hours.

2) 70gal

3) See signature

4) Regular day, just feeding, maybe some glass cleaning.

Most time passes by when I'm cutting plants, replanting them, pwc. Besides that I just throw food in, some fertilizer, control my CO2, light, temperature, filter flow. About once a month I clean the filter.
[/quote]

I have a 58 gal, 15 gal, and a 10 gal - all planted. Plus a 10 gal Q tank. Fish include barbs, tetras, angelfish, corys, and BN plecos.

I spend about one hour per week doing normal maintenance - removing about 50% of the water from all tanks, vacuuming as much substrate as I can without disturbing the plants and decor, and adding back fresh water - all using a Python. While the tanks are filling, I scrape algae off the glass and prune back the plants as needed.

About once a month, I rinse off the filter pads and gravel vac the pleco poop from under the driftwood and rocks. Sometimes I take the opportunity to scrub algae off the rockwork. These are messy jobs and altogether add about an extra hour to that week's normal maintenance.

75gal, various rainbows, odessa barbs, red-lined barbs and harlequinns.
weekly pwc 35-40 inc. gravel vac and glass cleaning.
once monthly filter maint. 20-25min
daily feeding, head count and temp. check 5 min

Too many variables to accurately state a time frame. The only thing I can say is, if you can set aside three hours per week, you can do it.

BTW, all of my info is in my profile and you can take a look at the tank clickys to see what they look like.

honmol said:
Monthy, four and a half hours.
honmol said:
How Big Is Your Tank?)
75 gallons

honmol said:
5 min per day: feed fish, observe health of fish, look for anything out of place, clean front glass if needed (I have a mag-float that I keep in the tank, so that doesn't take very long.)

30 min per week: partial water change/bottom vac, rinse sponge, clean lime buildup, trim plants.

honmol said:
What Type Of Fish Do You Have?)
An eclectic mix I recieved from a friend giving up her tank. Mostly tropicals, alot of tetra vareties, (poor schooling fish that were bought in pairs) and one really out of place goldfish.

honmol said:
I'm trying to figure out if I have time to maintain another tank. The last 3 questions help me to know If I'll be spending more or less time on it, or indeed any time at all.)

About how much time do you spend on an average day?)
5 mins.

honmol said:
Watching the fish for a little bit is part of tank maintenance. You need to observe the health of each, and become familiar enough with them to notice when something is wrong. Don't neglect to seek out fish that are not stars of the show and check on them.

honmol said:

All together I would have to say over 2 hours. It takes me a while to do water changes because I still use buckets instead of a Python (one of these days). I also use a gravel vac run on air between water changes, and with feeding fish, testing water, taking care of plants....it adds up, but I love it!

honmol said:
How Big Is Your Tank?

My main tank is 30 gallons. It takes the longest. I also have a 10 gal. and 3 X 2 gal. betta tanks. I added them into the time consideration since I do a water change on them once a week as well.

honmol said:

All my tanks get water changes once a week. I feed my fish something different every night, plus I test the water in my tank at least once a week (more often lately since I've been having nitrite issues). Gravel vacs and plant care are in there too.

honmol said:

Opaline gourami, platies, cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras, hillstream loaches, pleco, dwarf gourami, bettas, and an African Clwed Frog.

honmol said:

10-15 minutes at least, this doesn't include water change day. That's a little longer.

honmol said:

If I counted the time I spend just watching them then it would be waaaaaay over two hours a month!! I love my fishies.

Oh yeah, and for you guys with wives that say you love the fish more than them....I'll take ya!! My hubby says the same thing about me! He says I love all the pets (dog, cat, fish) more than him....okay, whatever. Why is it that animal lovers seem to marry non-animal people??? :?

Back
Top Bottom