Tank near window?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to set up a 75 gallon planted aquarium and the only possible place to put it is in front of a large window. This window is not usually opened and the tank will be mostly planted. Will this be alright? Or will I have an algae outbreak?

It most likely will. Water temperature could also become a problem if it gets direct sunlight. What fish do you have?

None now. it will be a while before i get some fish or anything. Just wanted to make sure if it would be alright before i get things in it.

Missed the part that the blinds are closed most the time. It should be fine actually.

I had a 56 gallon near a window. My parents had it first and they coukd not keep it algae free without a uv sterilizer (green water not green on decor). When I got it I didnt use the uv and had live plants instead. No green water :)

YMMV. I have a 75 in front of a window that is always closed but sunlight does make a way. No green water issues but you do have to stay on top of it. It's not planted so yours may actually benefit?

Just to add, consideration should be given to what region your in as it may require multiple/larger heaters to accommodate for colder winter temps. Most windows are on outside walls and they can be very cold and drafty certain times of the year.

Hth--

Back
Top Bottom