Tank of death ready for new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
After several weeks of watching, cleaning, worrying and several attempts at cycling I think my son's 55 gal is finally ready for more "fishy family" members. It has finally cycled again and the three remaining danios seem calmer. My son has been telling me they are lonely and need more fishy family and after weeks of trying to tell him the fish were sick and needed to wait I feel like the tank is ready for more. I'm super excited! But I do have to ask if some one would tell me if adding about 10 gold long finned danios would be too many to do at a time? I have to put in an order for them so I need a number to tell them.

Thanks for all tour help!

Attachments

• image-821754254.jpg
    image-821754254.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4031830111.jpg
    image-4031830111.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 79
You may go back into a mini-cycle. Your bio filter is only established with three danios, adding 10 more will increase the bioload so much that your bacteria may not be able to handle it right away. If you add that many fish make sure to test it daily and do water changes until your levels are stable again.

Sweeeeet tank I love it
and as for the danios I'm not sure. Mostly the whole 3 at a time thing is for the filter and the cycle of the tank but with a tank that big for those size fish... I'm not sure sorry!

You should probably add like 3 a week. Be patient with it and let your bio-filter establish itself slowly

Ok then, three a week! Thanks so much, I had never heard of that rule before, but makes sense. Danios do have a very light bio load but I don't want to push this poor tank through anything else. Wish us luck!

steez said:
You should probably add like 3 a week. Be patient with it and let your bio-filter establish itself slowly

+1 with Steez. If the tank was just cycled, he's correct that the beneficial bacteria has adjusted to the # of fish in the tank. Since you have a large tank there is some room for error, but adding 10 at once when it just completed cycling with 3 is a recipe for a mini-cycle IMO. I'd add the 3, monitor your levels for a week or two, if everything remains stable, add another 3-4 more and repeat until the tank is stocked :)

Ok so I'm picking up three tonight and putting in an order for more in two weeks. and so on and so forth. I'm also going to ask for two small Plecos but I can't decide between bit bulls or bristle nose.

Back
Top Bottom