tank on floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is it safe to set up a tank on the floor? its on carpet in the shed, and it has no bottom frame. it is 28 gallons. it can hurt the tank can it?

Its out in a detached office that no one goes in but me. I was just wondering if anything could go wrong with it being on the floor.

Get a few cinder blocks, a few 2x4's and you have a quick and dirty stand that will hold a million pounds and keep your tank off of the ground.

haha, I was just about to suggest rogermcallen's idea. it is probably what I'll be doing with my new 55 gal tank. but it kinda fits the "college apartment" atmosphere :D

If no one goes in there, no prob. One of my fave LFS around here has several of their tanks on the ground because they're expanding and didn't have enough shelves. They're okay even with people...
Or drop by a thrift store and pick up a table or something for 10 bucks or less...

Take a couple of friends with you to the thrift store and have everyone sit on the table. You don't want anything that might buckle under pressure!

Well you'll have to lie down to watch your tank. Water changes might be difficult to do because you won't have gravity helping when siphoning. :wink:

I would be scared of all the creepy crawly things accidently falling in.

Besides, how can you truly enjoy your tank if it's out in the shed on the floor? :wink:

I would go ahead and spring for a stand. you will really want it later anyway and good luck lifting it off of the floor after you have already loaded it with gravel, rocks, water, fish, etc.

Back
Top Bottom