Tank Overhall - Stand Design Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plowboy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well the one corner of my 125 decided to open and let about 3/4 of the water out ruining my light fixtures and stand (made of particle board) hence forcing me to redo a lot of stuff. I am looking for advise on whether to build a stand out of wood or metal. I would prefer wood and to follow plans if anyone have any for tank 6 ft. long, 18 inches wide and 22 inches deep. So any blue prints or places to get some blue prints would be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking to get lights from AH Supply and some of their plans for a light enclosure. Does anyone have any feedback about this company or any of their fixtures/enclosure designs? I have heard good things from a few people.

Thanks!

I'd say to go with wood, unless you have access to welding equipment and an experienced welder. It's much easier to be certain that glue and screws are secure, rather than a weld (assuming the design is strong enough). Plus, I like the look of wood much better. Search the DIY forum for stands other people have done, and if you post there you'll probably get some good advice.

I don't have much advice on stands, but making sure you know the underlying cause of the last leak might be a good idea....is the floor uneven or sagging under the weight of the tank? Best to remedy any other problems or you're likely to have a repeat performance with a tank that size.

I have 2 96 watt PC kits from AH supply and they are great. I have them in a modified wood canopy. The kits are easy to put together with some simple tools and the reflectors are great, there was a visible difference in the brightness of my tank with the old and new lights (same wattage, different reflectors)

Back
Top Bottom