Tank Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some advice on what to do next ;)
I have a 55g currently stocked with 1 clown loach (about 4in), 2x parrott cichilids (3-4 in in length), 1 silver dollar (full grown) and 2 common pleco (both about 4-6 in in length) I used the AqAdvisor and it's telling me the tank is seriously overstocked. Saying that I've had these fish together for 2 years. I originally bought the tank used (with those fish and more together) The previous owner had those same fish for about 2 years and the owner before that for a few years...so in a nutshell they've been together for a long time :p When I first purchased the tank it had the fish mentioned above plus another pleco (about 6-8 inches), 3 angels (they weren't very big), 2 tiger barbs and 8 little grey fish (I called them river barbs...don't really know what they were, however they got eaten by the cichilids) I knew nothing about fish when I bought the tank, but have obviously learned alot since. Now what next...Can I hold off seperating them if it's working? I will not get a bigger tank for a few years at least (no room right now) Pleaase let me know what you think???

AqAdvisor is a great tool for a "general rule of thumb" ..... but its by no means 100% accurate... a lot of factors come into play that it doesnt consider.... BigJim will back me up on this one...

what type of filtration do you have on the tank?

I use AqAdvisor for entertainment purposes only. ;)

That said, the tank will become massively overstocked as your fish continue to grow. The common plecos have to potential to reach 2 ft in length with proper care.

I figured as much, but it's saying my tank is at 246% capacity (you'd never know by looking at the tank...lol) I have a Rena Filstar xp (for up to 70g) The fish are really healthy, although the Cichilids are becoming a little more aggressive these days.

I use AqAdvisor for entertainment purposes only. ;)

That said, the tank will become massively overstocked as your fish continue to grow. The common plecos have to potential to reach 2 ft in length with proper care.
Good to know :)

Back
Top Bottom