Tank Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon tank with no plants. My fish:
3 Cory Catfish
2 Goldfish
1 Gourami
1 Pleco (~5 Inches)

I think it's overstocking because I did a water change about a day ago and here are the results:
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Nitrate: 80-100 PPM (Can't tell, posting a picture of the results)
1477749836561.jpg

I just think the nitrates are too high after a water change to be good for the fish. They show no signs of illness EXCEPT for ONLY the Goldfish who have red spots all over their bodies, and the spots have been there for a few months.

The goldfish really do not belong in that tank. Can you post a pic of the red spots?

Oh, of course not! I'm setting up a 55 gallon planted tank next summer. They would? I didnt know that.

Yeah. I know. It's just everyone gives me their Goldfish and I want to get rid of these. Can I sell them?

Yeah. I know. It's just everyone gives me their Goldfish and I want to get rid of these. Can I sell them?

You could try - there are a few online sites that essentially facilitate this. Another option might be to go to your LFS and see if they might be interested. My LFS offers store credit for "trade-ins" of fish.

From my understanding goldfish are cold water fish.....and are not meant to be put into a tropical fish community.

Also from my personal experience....the more corys you have the more interesting behavior I got from them. I started off with 2 and then went to six and they started schooling slightly.

What kind of pleco do you have because the common plecos get huge! and though they suck on glass when they are younger i have heard they become aggressive poop machines as they get older.

Yeah, you're right about Goldfish being cold water fish. I just have no where to put them, except to euthanize them. They have (only the Goldfish) have red spots all over themselves that have been there for about a year now, and nothing has gone away or progressed. I keep on forgetting to take a picture, but I'll get to it tomorrow.

Cool, Cory Catfish schooling! I think my three like to stick together but it's mostly (probably, I can't tell) the Mom and the baby sticking together and Dad goes and does his own thing.

I have a Plecostomus and he's about five inches long. With these Goldfish too. He probably is a huge poop machine because some of those things look like mini snakes. ?

yeah cory catfish are known to school pretty well. i've seen youtube videos of them in the wild and they school in the hundreds! it is definitely worth looking up in my opinion.

and sorry about your goldfish situation....it does not sound enviable. but i would definitely try asking a fish store if you can bring them in (if you live far away from one....might try calling first)

Alright. Cool.

Man, that's so cool to watch, a massive group of Cory Catfish doing their own thing! Never seen that before!

Okay, here's a picture of the Goldfish.
Wow, you don't realize how active these fish are until you try to take a picture of them. [emoji35]

1479176692267.jpg1479176707162.jpg

The bottom picture is the best quality. Now, after some time, there are a lot less of the spots. And after looking at one thread,they look like lesions to me. But I'm probably wrong. ?

I know. It's just I have no where to put them. I can't sell them to a pet store because of those spots, and I can't give them to someone because I don't have anyone to give them to.

And I can't set up my 55 gallon this year because of school, so no other tanks to put them in...

My only option would be/is to euthanize them.

Does anyone know if you can keep shiners in a tropical tank? Cuz I want to try it.

Back
Top Bottom