Tank overstocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What happens if you overstock a tank? Is it just a case of more work filtering and water changing? Or do the fish get territorial or stressed?
I'm just curious as to the actual reasons why you shouldn't overstock.

Well common sense seems to be a good reason? How would you like to live in your bedroom with 10 other people? Lol

dudeofrude said:
Well common sense seems to be a good reason? How would you like to live in your bedroom with 10 other people? Lol

Lol! I didn't mean like 100fish in a 5 gallon or anything :D

It depends on the fish. It definitely is more work. Some fish get territorial. Others aren't as active as they should be. Some don't grow the way they should.

I have around 25 cichlids in a 55 gal tank. I bought it with all of the fish in it and 5 didn't even survive the trip to my house. I will need to thin it out a bit but none of my fish are missing fins. There are skirmishes here and there and chases but nothing serious. I probably won't get much natural social behavior out of my fish in that type of environment but the activity is cool. My filter does a good job and I'm doing reg water changes so its nice and clean. My point is that my tank is definitely over stocked but functional and a joy to care for. Depends on what kind of fish you plan on having and how much energy you have for cleaning I guess. I don't even care if yr mean to yr fishes lol... but I do know that sitting in front of your tank to observe ill or stressed fish is not enjoyable.

I define overstocked as the filter can't keep ammonia and nitrite levels at zero or the fish are visually cramped or fighting over territory.

With that definition, the water parameters would be less than ideal and the fish would be stressed due to fighting/close quarters.

What happens if you overstock a tank? Is it just a case of more work filtering and water changing? Or do the fish get territorial or stressed?
I'm just curious as to the actual reasons why you shouldn't overstock.

The water quality will drop and there won't be enough beneficial bacteria and you will lose some of the weaker fish.

Back
Top Bottom