Tank questions for native fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do appreciate you honesty, thats what it takes. Good news is the tank looks clearer since i changed the water yesterday and today. I cooled down the tank a few degrees, it was at 74 it feels much cooler now. My lfs sold me some bizarre rock in a bag, its white in color, suppose to help naturalize ammonia content if any (my really old tester i found said I had 0-3 ppm).

Now a new question, I'm looking into a canister filter. This month has been a bad month (finantually I'm shot this month), so i need an inexpensive one, any suggestions. Once i get one, what would a good media for it be. I have found some decent pond ones for around $60. One on ebay for a 1600 gallon pond for $70 from tetra (used). Would a pond one be the way to go, the seam to have a lot of gph.

Also, would a Diatom filter help???

Thanks alot,
Dan

You can get a good canster filter for around $70 to $90. The hagan xp3 is a good one. But if your looking to get bigger filter to lesen the amount of water changes. It's not going to work. No It will prolong it some but nothing going to help as long as the two types of fish are toggeather. The bioload on that tank is high. Your going to have to do weekly water changes to stay on top of it.
Don't get me wrong the canster filter will help. But not as much as a weekly water changing plan will.

Well, All thanks for your help, I am left with only two questions. My tank temp in my opionion was high, around 74, what do you think it should be around. Also what is your opionion of a diatom filter??? It sounds like an easy out (probably not a solution, but sounds cool).

As always, Thanks again,
Dan

I'm not to sure with blue gills or gold fish. I keep all 16 of my tanks right at 79oF to 80oF. I've keep blue gills in the past { along time n the past} back before the state of Texas out lawed all native fish under a size from home tanks. I know now that this law has been lefted for in dangered spices act. As for the diatom filter. I've heard good things and some bad. If it was me I'd get rid of the gold fish either in a pond outside or a local pond at a puplic park.
I'd then get a whisper 60-90 HOB filter that will help with the flow at 155gph. Do weekly water changes of at least 50%.

I know goldfish prefer colder temps...around 68* degrees or so. Blue gill probably require about the same temp considering they are not tropical fish. If you google it, I'm sure you will find the answer to that question. I know keeping a colder temp for goldfish will increase their lifespans and they should be healthier. I'm glad you did the water changes and the cloudiness is starting to go away. Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom