Tank raised versus wild caught

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Fahaka puffer is wild caught. They don't breed in captivity and I see nothing wrong with me owning a WC. I know some Frontosa keepers who pay $100's more for WC over 1st generation captive bred. That I don't really understand. I have F1's and I think they are just as beautiful. But if people want WC I see no problem with it unless it is having a negative impact on the WC population. Most of Frontosa keepers I know keep there WC fish in better conditions than any other living creature I know.

on the other hand if you are against the practice or the store please don't say you are "rescuing" a fish. Major pet peeve of mine. Like people "rescuing" puppies from the mall pet shop. You aren't rescuing anything you are funding the practice and with the money you gave the store 2 more puppies filled the cages and countless more died before reaching the store. If you are rescuing something you don't pay the group causing the need for rescue.

I'm glad I posted this thread. I'm learning so much and I like hearing everyone else's take on the issue.

Back to my dilemma about buying the wild caught or tank raised corys. I think I am also paranoid that the wild caught are more sensitive and that any minor mistake on my part will result in disaster. I am NOT a perfect fish keeper but I try to do my very best, I just worry a lot about animals, which is why I have rescued so many cats and dogs over the years.

on the other hand if you are against the practice or the store please don't say you are "rescuing" a fish. Major pet peeve of mine. Like people "rescuing" puppies from the mall pet shop. You aren't rescuing anything you are funding the practice and with the money you gave the store 2 more puppies filled the cages and countless more died before reaching the store. If you are rescuing something you don't pay the group causing the need for rescue.

By rescuing I mean I took in strays off the street. I don't buy fish or furries that pet stores are selling to rescue them because IMO you are correct that just perpetuates the problem.

By rescuing I mean I took in strays off the street. I don't buy fish or furries that pet stores are selling to rescue them because IMO you are correct that just perpetuates the problem.

Yeah... after you made that point I feel.bad about my Wal-Mart betta rescue, but hesy buddy now so I guess it worked out!

I was grocery shopping with my mom, and I saw him in a half filled yellow stained water cup. He turned out beautiful for a Wal-Mart betta though.

The only time that I'm tempted to steal is wile at Walmart... I must save all the ich covered, over feed,ammonia burned fish. Lol

Yeah... after you made that point I feel.bad about my Wal-Mart betta rescue, but hesy buddy now so I guess it worked out!

Don't feel bad you purchased a fish. We all started out the same way. And everyone of us have purchased fish from places that aren't the best. But it is just that a purchase not a rescue.

I am just a little sensitive to the subject. I like to educate when I can so as not to perpetuate the cycle with other big hearted individuals.

I brought up the puppy scenario because a close friend of mine with a big heart spent $3,000 that she didn't have because she felt she was rescuing two dogs from the mall. That followed by thousands of dollars of vet bills. The $3,000 really could have gone to good use at a shelter and she would have really rescued some animals.

The only time that I'm tempted to steal is wile at Walmart... I must save all the ich covered, over feed,ammonia burned fish. Lol

So True LOL. When we are at wallmart I stop by the tanks to occupy my kids and teach them about different types of fish and unfortunately diseases and while I am there I caution others not to buy fish there and why.

My Fahaka puffer is wild caught. They don't breed in captivity and I see nothing wrong with me owning a WC. I know some Frontosa keepers who pay $100's more for WC over 1st generation captive bred. That I don't really understand. I have F1's and I think they are just as beautiful. But if people want WC I see no problem with it unless it is having a negative impact on the WC population. Most of Frontosa keepers I know keep there WC fish in better conditions than any other living creature I know.

Didn't mean to offend you.

I have most fish live if I buy from petsmart And petco both in my aria are good but petco is price and then we have a local pet store that I've had nuthjng die but they tend to have more pricey fish.

I have most fish live if I buy from petsmart And petco both in my aria are good but petco is price and then we have a local pet store that I've had nuthjng die but they tend to have more pricey fish.

Same here, my lfs has some cool fish but price is high and equipment section is low. But I have a petco and petsmart nearby that are decent. The employees ive run into know there stuff. I was buying guppys for my community tank, and cichilds for my cichilds, the lady told me she could not sell.me the cichilds because of their aggression. I told her of my two tanks and she gladly sold them to me.

i think its harder for a lfs to keep their prices down because they dont have the financial backing of a giant chain like petco/smart. which also make money off their large variety of other pets and pet products.
i gladly pay a little more at a lfs because it's normally better quality, and i can get more unique fish, some of which come from the wild to stay on topic. they also do a good job of quarantining any WC fish so they can stabilize before i buy them. (at my lfs)

My independent LFS doesn't QT their fish! I was there once on the day they received their fish shipment and they had all the bags floating in the tanks they were going to release them into. That worries me!

My independent LFS doesn't QT their fish! I was there once on the day they received their fish shipment and they had all the bags floating in the tanks they were going to release them into. That worries me!

How would they qt every fish they got? I walked in the same way one time. I thought the same thing, but who has the time and space to qt hundreds of fish? They stay in the shop for little over a week anyway so its not there problem.

How would they qt every fish they got? I walked in the same way one time. I thought the same thing, but who has the time and space to qt hundreds of fish? They stay in the shop for little over a week anyway so its not there problem.

hmmm. idk. i always see a "nfs" marked on the tanks with new fish and the lights are blacked out.

Me too on some tanks, but only the neon tetras and the saltwater display tank, which is awful. They had a tomato clown, a lipstick tang, a niger trigger and a hippo tang in maybe 120 gallon tank. The trigger and lipstick had two feet to move before turning around.

They may quarantine on a different site, that s what my LFS does. Just saying.

My only option for the fish I keep is wildcaught. That's all that's available for sale in the US. Over in Europe, they can get captive bred, but most are still wildcaught.

Back
Top Bottom