Tank reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any advice or tips I failed the last time and 6 months later yesterday morning had a big mess so I am gonna reseal it again anything I can do differently? I would just buy a new tank but I dont have the extra money

Remove all the old silicone, clean it real good. I think I used alcohol wipes. Reseal it and let it dry for a day or so. Then fill it up and let it chill so you can see if there are any leaks. If there isnt any you did it rite. now drain it and put your gravel and stuff in and start the cycle process over.
I only did this once and it was such a pain in the butt I dont think I will ever do it again.

Josh1158 said:
Remove all the old silicone, clean it real good. I think I used alcohol wipes. Reseal it and let it dry for a day or so. Then fill it up and let it chill so you can see if there are any leaks. If there isnt any you did it rite. now drain it and put your gravel and stuff in and start the cycle process over.
I only did this once and it was such a pain in the butt I dont think I will ever do it again.

Agree with all of that except don't drain it right away, let the water sit in there for a couple of days to see if it will hold

Well this is the thing I resealed it with a friend 6 months ago and got up yesterday morning and it was leaking REAL BAD so here I am at square 1. So I went and bought a box of razors and a tube of ge high quality 100% silicone clear the last time I used the pet store brand but it didnt hold so I bought some high quality stuff at home depot. My tank is 120 gallon breeder

I don't know about GE silicone one way or the other... but what I do know is that much of the silicone that is produced to be used in general household applications has anti-mold and anti-fungal chemicals added to it that you don't want to introduce into your tank.

Again, I don't know if the silicone you purchased has these in it or not, so I am simply offering this as something that you may want to look into to be sure.

GE silicone 1 is safe to use, I've used it on many things in my tanks. But as stated check to make sure there is no added ingredients and that its 100% silicone

Well it says 100% silicone but it also says mold resistant I have the stuff from the aquarium shop but I dont know if it was install problem or product malfunction most likely installation error thing is I dont know if I have enough of the other stuff from the pet store. Back to the stuff I bought today it has no ingredients list it just says 100% silicone

Greenphantom said:
Well it says 100% silicone but it also says mold resistant I have the stuff from the aquarium shop but I dont know if it was install problem or product malfunction most likely installation error thing is I dont know if I have enough of the other stuff from the pet store. Back to the stuff I bought today it has no ingredients list it just says 100% silicone

Also how long do u think my fish will be ok in a forty gallon tote 30 fish under 6 inches

I'm wondering myself what a good brand of sealant is. My sealant is cuurently fine, I just let some water sit In it for 3 days and all the water held. However, it is slightly lifting up and I want to take care of that before it becomes a real problem.

Well got it done it only took a couple hours I went crazy with the silicone and put a 3/4 inch bead all the way around it now my only concern is the dry time it says 24 hrs but I am gonna let it dry for 48 just to be sure I am just worried about my 30 fish in a 40 gallon tote I hope they will be ok till sat night or sunday afternoon

Just wondering how your tank's holding up? I just did a reseal for the second time because I made a mess of it first time around and I'm a bit nervous .....

Back
Top Bottom