Tank seems empty, what to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Current stock:

2 (soon to be 5-8) neon tetras

8 Rummynose tetras

2 (Breeding pair) German BR

4 cory (peppered cory catfish.

The temp sits at about 79*F atm, what should I add? Maybe a angel or two? HELP!

I'd up the neons to about a dozen total. They'll shoal up nicely. I'd also double the cories unless they might mess with rams for competition on the bottom.

You might also look to add some vertical height with some decor, driftwood and/or tall background plants. I use cheap hornwort to fill in the vertical spaces in my tank, i float it but weight it down so it hangs vertical. Easy to rescape as well when it gets boring.

Huh. So no new species? I'm sure there's some more space? Or am I just being to needy xD

If the top level of your tank is unoccupied you could add some hatchetfish. Marbled stay smaller than the silver. I have a shoal of them in my 44g. They are almost always at the top of the tank....,A lid is required for these fish as they will jump....,,,,

You've got the room for some more fish, I take it you are looking for some sort of centerpiece? My tank is only a 20 gallon so i look more for schooling fish, but your could use a pair of honey gouramis. Angels would work and fit in with the Amazon them you have going but they are also cichlids and get temperamental as they grow.

There are some other dwarf cichlids that would work, apistos and other rams, provided they all have their space. A small pleco is possible too, a bristlenose pair or maybe a clown pleco..something that stays under 5 inches.

You've got the room for some more fish, I take it you are looking for some sort of centerpiece? My tank is only a 20 gallon so i look more for schooling fish, but your could use a pair of honey gouramis. Angels would work and fit in with the Amazon them you have going but they are also cichlids and get temperamental as they grow.

There are some other dwarf cichlids that would work, apistos and other rams, provided they all have their space. A small pleco is possible too, a bristlenose pair or maybe a clown pleco..something that stays under 5 inches.

The GBR were sort of supposed to be the centerpiece, but it's just the top of the tank that's really empty... I mean sure everyone once in a while I'll see like a cory get a gasp of air but not much else... Are angels really as temperamental as they say, if I only got one? (No breeding?

What temp are you trying to keep the tank at? 79F is too cold for GBRs (they're very disease prone in cooler waters sub 82F and have poor long-term survival rates when kept that cold), but it's also above the comfort range of Neons (68-78F). Rummynose tetras also prefer the 73-79F range, so if you make the Rams happy then the tetras will all be unhappy. Keeping it warm enough for the GBRs will shorten the lifespan of the tetras since the warmer water speeds their metabolism.

Rams and Angels get along fine, but depending on the Angel's personality it may try to eat your neons and rummys as it matures. Some accept smaller tankmates that they've grown up with, but not all.

What temp are you trying to keep the tank at? 79F is too cold for GBRs (they're very disease prone in cooler waters sub 82F and have poor long-term survival rates when kept that cold), but it's also above the comfort range of Neons (68-78F). Rummynose tetras also prefer the 73-79F range, so if you make the Rams happy then the tetras will all be unhappy. Keeping it warm enough for the GBRs will shorten the lifespan of the tetras since the warmer water speeds their metabolism.

Rams and Angels get along fine, but depending on the Angel's personality it may try to eat your neons and rummys as it matures. Some accept smaller tankmates that they've grown up with, but not all.

Blah sorry. My temp is actually around 81*F ish. Would this 1-2* make too much of a difference for the tetras and rams? I mean this is sorta the middle for both of them, would the be OK like this? I've heard different things about temperatures, some people insist so and so must be kept _, but so and so has to be _

Ditto to elephantnose, give the Rams what they need or the chances aren't good for them. The tetras can handle the higher temps better than the rams can handle the cold, but just recognize that it knocks a few years off their lifespans. They really shouldn't be kept together long term.

Ditto to elephantnose, give the Rams what they need or the chances aren't good for them. The tetras can handle the higher temps better than the rams can handle the cold, but just recognize that it knocks a few years off their lifespans. They really shouldn't be kept together long term.

A few years? o.o how long are their average lifespans?

Well cared for Neon Tetras can last up to 10 years, and 5-6 for rummies.

Hm. I never knew 3* f could equate to 3 years of a difference! Well, I might be getting a discus tank in 1-2 years, I'll prob move the GBR (or their offspring, I'm aware of their short lifespan) to that tank, add maybe some bolivian rams to my current community, as see how it goes. Would that be OK?

As for Bolivian rams they do good in lower temps. And will do great with tetras who require lower temps. They like temps of 77-82 degrees.

Agreed. Bolivians are much better suited for the cooler temps :) Put the temp at 77 and all of them will be happy while the GBRs are off in their other nice toasty tank.

Back
Top Bottom