Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenningstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about revamping my 55 as nearly all of the fish have been transfered to my 125. I was trying to get some ideas on a community tank. I'd like to have it as full of fish as is healthy for its residents and I would really like it to be as colorful as possible. I would really love some ideas. Thanks!

Also, as we are moving fish around I'm looking for ideas for my 20 gal tall. Right now the 20 gal has 1 Angel, 6 Neon Tetras, 1 False Julii Cory Catfish, several apple snails and 1 Danio. I have thought about moving these to the 55 to add to my community tank. This would leave me with an empty 20 gal so I'm looking for ideas for both. The 55 currently has 2 Kribensis, 2 Mbuna, 1 Pleco, 1 Johanni.

Thanks guys!

Honestly I would get rid of the rift lake cichlids. Or get rid of everything else. If you get rid of them I would recommend doing that. I would move over all your 20 gallon tank members since angels really need a bigger tank.

Also your schools are way to small. Cories need to be in groups of 4 minimum preferably 6. The danio really needs 6 to.

If you end up moving these guys up and getting rid of the lake cichlids. I would do a stock of

2- Kribenis
1- Angelfish
8- Cherry Barbs
4- Pictus Cats
8- Lemon tetras
1-Pleco what type is it?

If you don't want to rehome the lake cichlids get rid of everything else in the 55 what type of mbuna are they?

Then for the 20 tall I would do

The apple snails
6- Neon tetras
6- danios what type are they?
6- False juli cories

I believe the Danio is a Zebra - we had four 3 died over a period of time.
I'm not sure what type the pleco is. I know he has a harder skin than others.
We only got the Cori as a bottom feeder to clean..never thought of him schooling. We could but he isnt very pretty :(
I forgot what the Mbuna. I have a blue and a yellow, both with a black stripe on their top fin and lower fins.

I wasn't planning on mixing the 55 and the 20. I was thinking about getting rid of the cichlids and making the 55 a community tank. That will also leave me with an empty 20 gal I need to figure out stock for. But I DO know I really do want a lot of COLOR and movement in my tank. I am considering getting a few more angels, some cherry barbs and some more tetras like you said. We had also kicked around gourami and I just saw a boesemani rainbow I thought would be really pretty.

Ok here's a idea if you got rid of everything in the 55 would definitley get rid of the mbuna and all the other cichlids because they will kill all the community fish. I would also rehome the Pleco sounds like a common Pleco. I would definitley rehome it and here's a stock you might like for the 55 also don't believe what everybody says dont but cories or plecos as a cleaner fish you still have to do just as many water changes. But the fish you like not a fish you might think is ugly but makes a good cleaner fish. I buy catfish because IMO they are amazing fish. That's why I try to get one in all my tanks haha.

But for the stock I would get in the 55 gallon

2- Angels
8- Cherry Barbs
6- Bosemani Rainbows
1- Red Tailed Shark nobody recommends these but they are amazing fish.
4- Zebra Loaches

Now for the 20 gallon I would do a stock of

The snails
6- Neon tetras
6- Zebra danios
Rehome your corie if you don't like them they really need groups to replace him I would add 5 Kuhli loaches.

I would stock the 55 like this,

3 angels
3 panda corys
8-10 rummynose tetras
2 German blue rams
And either a bristle nose pleco or 3-4 otos

The reason wouldn't recommend a red tailed shark in a community tank is they are extremely territorial fish, which ends up looking like aggression when is chasing all the fish smaller than it around the tank up to the point of stress and exhaustion. I used to have one in my community tank and I'm glad I made the choice to rehome him because my tank and its inhabitants are doing much better for it.

I would stock the 55 like this,

3 angels
3 panda corys
8-10 rummynose tetras
2 German blue rams
And either a bristle nose pleco or 3-4 otos

You need more pandas they need large groups 6 minimum and Otos IMO would get killed by angels. See IMO I think Red Tailed Sharks do fine in community's I had one for 3 years before I switched up my tank and he wouldn't bother anything unless they came into his cave. He was a beautiful fish. As long as you have at least 3 hiding spots for him you should be fine just IMO and from my experience keeping one. Plus he wasn't small he got big about 5 inches and was still pretty peaceful

You need more pandas they need large groups 6 minimum and Otos IMO would get killed by angels.

I have four 2" Otos in my tank with angels and mine leave them alone. You can put the number for corys to 6 I left room in that stocking for there to be a little added here and there.

You need more pandas they need large groups 6 minimum and Otos IMO would get killed by angels. See IMO I think Red Tailed Sharks do fine in community's I had one for 3 years before I switched up my tank and he wouldn't bother anything unless they came into his cave. He was a beautiful fish. As long as you have at least 3 hiding spots for him you should be fine just IMO and from my experience keeping one. Plus he wasn't small he got big about 5 inches and was still pretty peaceful

I guess they must be hit and miss, all mine did all day was chase other fish around the tank and eat, there were plenty of hiding areas for him. Idk haha mine was 5-6 inches

Idk I think it is hit and miss to since I have heard of lots of people with super peaceful ones and really agressive ones. I think it's worth a try just my thoughts there. They are amazing fish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom