Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
lmo
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

"Tank Sitting" an established tank - need to cycle

I'm tank sitting for a friend for a few months - he is inaccessible for questions, unfortunately. He dropped off the empty tank, gravel (I believe it was the original gravel), aerator, light, pump/filter, additives, and the fish (which are in maybe 2 or 3 gallons of water in a bucket with the aerator).

He said it was a 30 gallon tank, but I added 20 gallons of water and there doesn't appear to be much more room, so I'm thinking it's really more like 25.

I have filled the tank and added the recommended quantities of Novaqua conditioner, Amquel detoxifier, and Cycle. How long should I wait before I add the fish? Also, since there is only 1 aerator, should I use it in the bucket with the fish, or in the tank as it cycles? I am going out of town for a few days, and although my boyfriend is willing to feed the fish while I am gone, I can't ask him to do anything higher maintenance.

Your advice is appreciated!

Old 06-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
lmo

Well, I "took the plunge" and put them in anyway - they don't seem too alarmed. We'll see what happens!

Old 06-01-2003, 04:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
you can use our tank calculator by clicking the Calculators link in the header to figure out the volume of the tank.

Well normally you would not add fish right away but given that you have live fish in buckets your gonna be forced to add them and Im glad you added them in your second post. What I would worry about is you dont list it came with a heater. Do you have any idea what kind of fish they are? If need be look thru our photo gallery at the freshwater fish and see if you find any that look like what you have.

Be VERY carful on feeding the fish for the first few weeks. If the gravel was kept wet then it might have a fair amount of bactera still alive in it but if not then you run the risk of ammonia posioning.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
lmo

You know, I was wondering about the heater. When I had a tank as a kid, we always had a heater but my friend didn't deliver one. I have emailed him asking about it, but he won't get the email for a week. I also asked him what kind of fish they are - I can see that some of them are tetras, and there are 3 others: 2 that look kind of like catfish or algae eaters (one has a "hairy" face), and 1 that is orange and white striped with some brown, appears to be a bottom feeder, and hides under a rock with the catfish. I plan to visit a fish store to try to identify them in the mteantime, and will look at the photo gallery - thanks for the idea!

When you say "be careful on feeding", what do you mean? Is 'careful' that I do it daily, or is 'careful' that I make sure not to overfeed them?

Thanks fishfreek - you've been helpful to me here, as well as in the cat forum!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I ment to be carful on the overfeeding. Fish can acutally go days with out having food added to the tank if need be. But they wont last long in a young tank thats over fed.

Whats the water temp on your tank. GIven you live on the west cost if your in a warm climent then the tank might not need a heater. I would say shoot for a temp of 76F

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #6
lmo

I looked through the gallery - good idea! So, now I can say I have tetras, a clown loach, and either plecos, bristlenose catfish, or both.

The current water/room temp is 77 degrees F. Our climate (Portland, OR) will stay warm until the end of September, and I give back the aquarium in August, so I should be okay, I guess, without the heater. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Well a pleco will have its mouth on the bottom of its body. If its siting on the gravel you wont be able to see the mouth in front at all. Usually pleco's are found attached to the glass via their mouth.

Tags
cycle, established tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com