Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank size

I have three angels, three dwarf gouramis and three corys in a 20 long right now. I want to move them to a bigger tank in the next few months. I was thinking 55. Would 46 or 50 gallons be enough for the angels as they get larger. I also want to add more fish and maybe some plants. Any opinons on a suitable tanksize? Would a 40 gallon be enough?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would personally opt for the 55 gal tank. They are not much more expensive than the 46. It would allow you to add more fish in the long run.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, if you have enough room for the 55, a 75 gal comes with the same footprint but gives you an additional 5", which I'm sure you can use.

If that isn't an option, go with the 55 as rectangular tanks are better suited for plants than bowfronts or hex's.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I also recommend 75's over 55's, if possible of course.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
i would go bigger but that all depends on your pockets.. but i would recomend you still keep the 20 long running just in case you have problems if the angels decide they want to breed..you dont have to keep it full of water per say.. you can let the filter run on your 55, beleive me if you need to ever use it, it will come in handy you dont have any aggresion problems with the dwarf gourami's?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

Acer- Somewhat surprisingly, no. They get a long pretty well. My gouramis are extremely peaceful.. they'll nip at eachother lightly once in a while. Other than that they don't bother themselves or others. And they never fight over food with the angels or anything...

About the 75. I would love to have that. How much more expensive are they though? And if I wanted to plant the tank, would lights cost me a fortune? Also, I'm fairly new to this aquarium thing still, and as for changing water, how do you change for such a large tank..? I wouldn't imagine carrying buckets and buckets of water every other week is a common practice?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
you can get a Python.. i have looked at them, but like all good things in our hobby, they are a little on the expensive side, they are about 50-65 bucks..
Old 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Python's are the best for the large scale water changes. It was the best $$ I spent on anything for my aquarium. But, you have to be near a sink with good pressure to use it.
I had to do some creative plumbing to hook mine up to a shower because the Mrs has to have a bowl sink with a pitcher faucet.
Filtration: Eheim 2026 Pimp #168 with Fluval surface skimmer
Lighting: PC 130 watts of 6700k PCs 12hours, 130 watts 10K 4 hours.
Co2 suppl.: 10lb tank with Milwaukee al in one.
Flora:Java Moss, Water Sprite, Microsword, Anacharis, Water Primrose, Rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus x barthii, Bacopa monnieri
Fauna: 3 Sailfin Mollies, 8 Tiger barbs, 6 Cory Julii, 6 Ottos, 2 SAEs, 9 Amano shrimp.
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to buy the Python cheaper, go to Wal-Mart in the fish department. They have an off brand one that is the same thing made by Lee's Aquarium. That's the one that I have and it works great. Big Al's also sells it for $22 plus shipping.

55 Gallon Community
Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

A lot of people have posted that walmart has cheap aquariums and supplies... I went to the walmart in town today and they didn't really have much to offer. Should I be going to a bigger one or looking at a catalog or something? They barely had tanks and filters at the one I went to.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't buy equipment from Wal-Mart. It tends to not be of the highest quality. I buy all of our equipment from www.bigalsonline.com for a fraction of the cost compared to the lfs, even with shipping.

The largest tank that I have seen at Wal-Mart is the 55 gal kit. Try just buying the tank from the lfs. When you only by the tank it tends to be cheaper. You could buy a stand from Wal-Mart (normally cheaper than the lfs, but you have to put it together). If you buy the kit, you'll probably have to upgrade filters and heaters. So it's normally cheaper to just buy it in pieces. Especially if you buy from Big Al's.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com