tank size for 2 oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscars can get very territorial. I don't know if they would both work out in a 90 or not. Its hard to tell.

I have a TO and unless you like REALLY big fish I wouldn't get 2. IMO you would probably need at least 120g for two TO's. :)

freddiefish14 said:
I've read that Bala Sharks do decently with TO's.

But they like to be in schools and a 90 isn't big enough for them IMO.

I don't know of any good tank mates for one in the size tank. The only thing that would fit in there with it the oscar would probably kill. PM HUKIT about them. I'm pretty sure he keeps and breeds oscars.

Im getting a 90 gallon... is this good enough

Per Oscar....

What would do well with an oscar in a 90 gallon

My grandfather raised various Oscars (aquariums are in the family blood :D).... his basement was wall-to-wall tanks. A few things I remember him keeping with his Oscars were Knife-fish and Silver Dollars, but only ONE Oscar per tank, and they were well planted to break up line-of-site.

With Oscar pairs or trios, one WILL become the dominant terror, and will incessantly harass the other(s). If kept in larger groups, they tend to be more docile to each other, but for that you will need a VERY large tank.

IME silver dollars do well with TOs. But try to get the TO and the Silver Dollars the same size like babies and let them grow up together. I don't have any problems with my TO and silver dollar but sometimes the TO will bully the silver dollar a little bit.

Tigroscr said:
IME silver dollars do well with TOs. But try to get the TO and the Silver Dollars the same size like babies and let them grow up together. I don't have any problems with my TO and silver dollar but sometimes the TO will bully the silver dollar a little bit.

Just thought of another fish that does well with TOs my friend has a Severum in with his TO and has had no real problems. But remember to get them about the same size if possible.

Can i keep the oscar in a 5 gallon til i set up the 90 gallon? If i can how long.

orandafan12 said:
Can i keep the oscar in a 5 gallon til i set up the 90 gallon? If i can how long.

I would have to say a definitive NO on this, even temp. Don't get the Oscar until you get the big tank set up and ready to go, cycled and everything,sorry I don't mean to sound harsh its just a 5 gallon is not meant for an Oscar no matter what size the Oscar is!

No... 10 gallons minimum, and that's as a baby. You will have maybe a few weeks to a month before you will need to get it into something larger. Most Oscars tend to grow surprisingly quick.

Back
Top Bottom