tank size for black ghost knife fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking forward to next Christmas...

I was wondering what would be the most appropriate sized tank be for a black ghost knife fish. My LFS said a 30-gallon tank was fine. Foster & Smith say a minimum of 50 gallons.

It would be the only fish in the tank. I know bigger and bigger tanks is the correct answer and I'd love to have several 200 gallon tanks! :roll: I just wanted to know if say a 75 gallon or a 90 gallon would work? Are they really ok in a 55 gallon?

Thanks in advance!

They can grow fairly large . I would think you would be fine with 75 or 90 with no problem . Many keep them in a 55 But it could be possible that he may outgrow that .

If its going to be the only inhabitant of the tank, a 55 gallon should be plenty, I would look for a wider, shorter tank if possible. I think a 56 gallon corner tank would be perfect.

Nik

Personally I would go for 75 gals. Not a tall tank, the closer to square the better but that can be hard to find.

they usally hit 10''+ in an aquarium so a 55 is too small full grown. even if it was the only fish, it would still be scrunched. hara is dead on.

i really encourage a 125 gallon tank, i'm getting one for my 2 BGKs in the spring.

also consider feeding cost, mine eat 4oz of bloodworms weekly and they're still small

A 24" wide tank would be the best. They grow fairly long and I have seen some that have hit past the 16" mark, which would not be well kept in a 75 or 125 gal permanently (they are only 18" wide). It's not all about the amount of gallons the tank is. I think a 120 gal (48" x 24") would be fine, a 180 (72" x 24") would be even better.

But, black knifes aren't very fast growers, so a 75 or 125 gal would be fine for a long time.

Blazeherd2306 said:
But, black knifes aren't very fast growers, so a 75 or 125 gal would be fine for a long time.

sorry blaze, BGKs are fast growers, or at least grow fast while they're young. a 3" BGK i got in september is now 6"

i believe trotty's duo grew pretty fast too

Have you BGK owners had any problems with them going after other fish? The one I used to have a long time ago (gave away at about 8") never caused problems with other fish but I've read they will start eatting other fish when they get older.

Nik

nik- i've heard that too, but also some predatory fish may also not see smaller fish (neons) as a snack if they grew up with them, and there is ample food available.

i know that angels will be fine with neons, but when they arent fed for 3 days, they turn on them.

BGKs have insationable appetites, and personally i wouldn't feed my BGK every other day, and hope my neons live

He seems to be a finnipper... he was getting my cories. I had to move him to a temporary tank. Guess I'll be looking at getting another tank for him soon. Luckily he is only 3".

Nik

Yeah, BGKs may grow fast when the are young. All fish grow fast as they reach maturity. I was referring to their growth rate to their maximum size of 18". You can't say a 10" fish is going to get to that 16-18" mark in only a couple of years.....

blaze weren't you the one who tried to discredit BGKs majecity, claiming "I dont know why people love them, they hide and get big"

Do note, BGK's grow fast, not just for young fish, but fish in general, not even my gouramis could hit an extra 3" in 4 months. Many people are overwhelmed by the fact that they not only grow fast, but grow big in a few months

nikgt-you have or had a BGK that nipped at the cories? were you feeding him enough? i know when i didn't have bloodworms for 2 or 3 days, my BGK cleaned out all my shrimp. they seem to be pretty passive unless someone is in their cave or eatting their food. My BGK chases out (but never hurts) my upsidedown cat from his cave, and the only violent act i've wittnessed was pushing balloon mollies around while they were eatting the bloodworms

I wouldn't go anything smaller than a 55g and definitely have plans for a 125g in the near future.

hc8719 said:
nikgt-you have or had a BGK that nipped at the cories? were you feeding him enough? i know when i didn't have bloodworms for 2 or 3 days, my BGK cleaned out all my shrimp. they seem to be pretty passive unless someone is in their cave or eatting their food. My BGK chases out (but never hurts) my upsidedown cat from his cave, and the only violent act i've wittnessed was pushing balloon mollies around while they were eatting the bloodworms

I just got a BGK for my 75 gallon. He was in there fine for a week (except at feeding time he would hit the tetras on the side). Then I added cories and he would follow them around pecking at their side. After several hours of him not stopping (including being fed...he is hand fed) I took him out. I'm considering trying to put him back in now that he has had his time out...

Nik

how big is he nik, its possible that (if he's big) he's been in seclusion for so long, he just might see all other fish as threats, especially smaller ones. or you just might have an agressive one?

how much are you feeding him? mine can eat a vastly surprising number despite their thin physique

hc8719 said:
how big is he nik, its possible that (if he's big) he's been in seclusion for so long, he just might see all other fish as threats, especially smaller ones. or you just might have an agressive one?

how much are you feeding him? mine can eat a vastly surprising number despite their thin physique

He isn't much longer than 3". I switched around "his" piece of driftwood to the other side of the tank... now he stays with his driftwood and the corys stay in the amazon swords... they seem to be doing fine.

I hand feed him a cube of bloodworms (during the day)... which the tetras also participate in and at night I put in a small piece of brine shrimp which him and the tetras eat. He definitely isn't starving and seems to be leaving the corys alone now that they aren't near his driftwood. Funny that he never bothers the pleco who isn't that much bigger than the corys.

Nik

probably wanted to display his dominance over the cave, if he's leaving the cories alone now, and never bothered the pleco.

as time goes by, and the pleco will start competing for the bloodworms, and they can clean them out fast, so make sure the BGK gets his share

i've heard brine shrimp are low in nutrients, so i only use bloodworms personally

hc8719 said:
blaze weren't you the one who tried to discredit BGKs majecity, claiming "I dont know why people love them, they hide and get big"

What attracts me to the BGK is that they become so friendly and finger tame. A big fish that is hand-fed... Kind of neat to me. But maybe they get really much to big. I'd enjoy a large tank but I don't know if I want a whole river in my living room. 8)

Linda and the zoo.

Back
Top Bottom