Tank smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaela

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I've set up a new 10 gallon aquarium. I used to have a tank years ago and never had a problem. This is something new to me. My tank has been up for about 5 days now and has mostly tetras in it with 3 African frogs.

My problem is the tank water smells bad. I have no idea what is causing it. It has a good filter (aqua-tech power filter), and I have a wand in the back that helps with circulation and oxygen. I don't overfeed my fish, I make sure they eat everything within 5 minutes.

Is there any way I can fix this?

It sounds to me that there is a good load in there with the frogs.. this could be causing the ammonia to rise radiply which is normal during a cycling period. That could be causing the smell...Try a 25% water change and see if that helps..Also, rinse out the filter pad or replace it...

What do you feed the frogs?

This is all I can comment on with the given info... I hope it helps.

They are dwarven frogs so they are about as small as the black tetras in the tank. I have 3 black tetras, 6 small tetras (neon and the orange ones) and the 3 tiny frogs. I feed all of them flake food and as a treat they get bloodworms.

I would recommend buying an ammonia and a nitrite test kit immediately. Your ammonia levels can reach lethal levels quickly in a 10 gal tank with that kind of bio-load. You'll need to test and do water changes as needed to keep the ammonia in check. As the ammonia begins to drop, start testing for the nitrite (not to be confused with nitrAte). This can also reach lethal levels and kill the fish and frogs. It will take longer for the nitrite to begin to fall. You'll need to do water changes to control it also. Once nitrite readings are zero, your tank has completed the nitrogen cycle and you can step the water changes back to about 2 gal every two weeks. Look on the left side of the home page on this site and you'll see a list of links. All of them are interesting reading, but I would suggest reading the one on the nitrogen cycle. It will explain a lot. I wish you the best of luck with the tank. We'd like to see pictures if possible. Welcome to the site and please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
Logan J

It could also be new gravel that wasn't rinsed thouroughly. The remaining debris on the gravel often smells stale when it is dissolved in water. If your nitrates and ammonia are okay, I might guess this is a possibility.

I did the water changes, tested for ammonia (which was pretty high), used the suggested chemicals to fix it and all seems fine now. I will keep up with the tests and get on a weekly cleaning/partial water change and I think that will work.

The water is clear, fish seem happy, chemicals are fine, and hardly a smell....Thank you all for your help. :)

Michaela

you would do well to control the increasing ammonia and nitrite with water changes rather than chemicals....better and more natural for your fish while allowing the natural cycle to proceed....

Okay, I can do that but how often is too often for water changes?

You can change the water very frequently as long as you age the water (let it sit in buckets, i use a big 25 gallon storage bin) for a few days to get rid of the chlorine, and make sure the water you add is the same PH as the tank water.

Back
Top Bottom