Tank Species is a MESS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dooodstevenn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my parents wanted a fish tank to liven up an empty corner of the living room. Long story short, they got one and I'm left taking care of the fish...not too bad at first and I've actually become really interested in the hobby since. A few days ago we had a small arowana and 2 red parrot fish. The aerowana for it's size had some room to swim (wide 60 gallon take), and the parrot fish had established hiding spots among the decorations. I came home yesterday and there are now two angel fish and 2 discus. :ermm: Now the angel fish and discus have no forestry or drift wood to hide in, which I could get, but it takes from the arowana's swimming room, the temps and pH levels are different for all the fish, some of are close enough IMO, but the discus totally throw it off as they need higher than normal tropical fish temps. Also one of the parrot fish has begun to develop black spots on it's fins, which I assume are stress spots due to the new fish, and they are bullying and pushing the discus away when they get near their little caves that the parrot fish hide in. I need to figure out what to do with these fish to keep them all happy and alive, which at this point, I don't know if that's even possible. At the moment I have the temp at 82, ph levels are around 7.6 but constant. I do have some aquarium salt in there just for good measure since it's a fairly new tank, and ammonium is at .5 PPM. So I was hoping I could get advice on a happy medium for all the fish, or to just start separating and selling the fish to start all over, which I doubt is possible...not my money. And any ideas on how to drop that ammonium level to 0?

to drop the ammonia do more water changes i do mine once a week or every two weeks. just empty half way and refill with new water and see if its better using gravel cleaner to get rid of poop. um for the fish, i dont know if you know but soon your going to need a bigger tank because the arowana get pretty big and maybe fill the corner up with live plants for the dicsus and angels love the plants. maybe amazon swords because they get tall so they could swim arround it. you should upgrade to bigger tank in a year or 2 so they get their own space and if you decide to get a bigger tank now its better because the fish will have their own space so they dont fight.

You won't have this problem very long. Those fish will kill each other. I can't imagine anyone paying so much for a discus and then dumping it in a tank with fish that will eat it.
Notice I said will, it is just a matter of when.

Also, I hope you have a strong lid because some of those fish are good jumpers. I lost an angel fish that way, the other angel was trying to kill him. I guess he thought suicide was a quicker and less painful way out.

Was this tank cycled?

The ignorance that went into this tank is appalling.

Back
Top Bottom