Tank stability issue. Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got my 55 gallon all filled and noticed that the stand was not supporting the very corners of the tank. All along the sides are supported fine but there is a small gap between the stand and the tank at every corner. See photo below. Is this going to cause issues with my tank? I notice the water line seems to be about a 1/4 in lower in one of the corners.

img_1920525_0_7a504b5d1de3ecb43d82f4a672a01a48.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi it should be OK? You say the water level isn't level? So is the actual base level? If you have a spirit level then perhaps see if the tank is actually level?
Hope that all made sense:)

Hi it should be OK? You say the water level isn't level? So is the actual base level? If you have a spirit level then perhaps see if the tank is actually level?
Hope that all made sense:)

Dead center of the tank:
img_1920557_0_b56e313b694829b5930276c8f086a902.jpg

ON the corner with the low water line:
img_1920557_1_cbf7220aa934e3862fe57b2ac6cabbb7.jpg

Hi now that is weird. My tanks are not level,but the spirit level shows this where ever it is on the lid,so i can only assume that some how the lid isn't level??:blink: I would say that if the tank is full and is not {say it very quietly}leaking then i would say it will be OK. Obviously just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse:) Be interesting to see if any one else can come up with any other theories?

Hi now that is weird. My tanks are not level,but the spirit level shows this where ever it is on the lid,so i can only assume that some how the lid isn't level??:blink: I would say that if the tank is full and is not {say it very quietly}leaking then i would say it will be OK. Obviously just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse:) Be interesting to see if any one else can come up with any other theories?

I was wondering if the trim could be uneven. Can tank glass/joints fail because of a slight variance in water pressure from being slightly un-level?

^^^ that's what I'd be afraid of. How about emptying the tank and placing the level on the bottom glass? Also moving the tank and doing the same on the stand then (as silly as it sounds) the floor under the stand?

^^^ that's what I'd be afraid of. How about emptying the tank and placing the level on the bottom glass? Also moving the tank and doing the same on the stand then (as silly as it sounds) the floor under the stand?

This might be a dumb question but, the sand is lower on the side of the tank that the water line is low on. Could that affect the water level? I wouldn't think so but I need to ask. Also, if you look at the level photos, its really not uneven enough to go outside of the level marks on the level (does that make sense?) .

The sand won't effect it because of gravity. :) You said the waters about 1/4 of in inch lower in one corner (not both front corners?) so that's a cause of concern to me. From what I've read tanks take most of the weight of the water on the corners then the outside edges. The middle of the bottom glass doesn't need supporting. If its only a few mm gap and it doesn't extend further than a few inches it might not be a problem though.

The sand won't effect it because of gravity. :) You said the waters about 1/4 of in inch lower in one corner (not both front corners?) so that's a cause of concern to me. From what I've read tanks take most of the weight of the water on the corners then the outside edges. The middle of the bottom glass doesn't need supporting. If its only a few mm gap and it doesn't extend further than a few inches it might not be a problem though.

Just googled it and according to what I've read, as long as the BASE of the tank is level and not uneven in anyway, there is no worries. Read stories of people with 90+ gallon tanks that were up to an inch uneven and they had no issues. So, I'm not going to sweat 1/4 inch unless I start to see some leaking :) I dont even think mine is a whole 1/4 off after looking at it again.

EDIT: Just measured from the botom trim to the top trim on both sides and it appears that the side that has the lower water line has the trim peice up higher. When I ran my hand around the inside of the trim I noticed that it had been siliconed back in place. I think just the trim is uneven,

Check the level of the stand itself on all four corners. 1/4 inch is a lot on a 55 gallon. If the stand is off, empty the tank and shim the stand. It's also a good idea to put a thin sheet of styrofoam or rubber shelf liner between the tank and stand to pick up any small gaps. If the stand is level then it's just your trim that's out of whack.

Slade said:
Check the level of the stand itself on all four corners. 1/4 inch is a lot on a 55 gallon. If the stand is off, empty the tank and shim the stand. It's also a good idea to put a thin sheet of styrofoam or rubber shelf liner between the tank and stand to pick up any small gaps. If the stand is level then it's just your trim that's out of whack.

What kinda styrofoam should I use and how thick?

It could be that the corner of the stand is warped downward a little, or as previously mentioned the trim on the tank is not perfect(that would be my guess). that small of a gap is not a big issue IMO. If the gap was in the middle of the tank then it would be a different story. I sincerely don't think you are going to have a problem. I had tanks that were much worse than that in my fishroom, and never had a problem in 20 years. Just my take on this . You have to do what is going to make you feel at ease!!

Hi from what I've read so far it would seem as though the trim is out of level? Also yes always worth putting the level on the floor,as in my shed the 100 gallon tank is level but the 40 gallon tank has settled lower on one side! When i notices this i checked the floor and it seems as though the floor has 'settled' {Not that unusual on a wooden floor but spooky!} I also use polystyrene under my tanks just to help out in case its uneven. {that's between the tank and the base} I actually added some masking tape to hide the unevenness:oops: Think the general consensus is to do what you fell happiest with?

I'd really like to keep the stand and reinforce it if it were possible. It slopes downward on the front corners by a couple millimeters. I wouldnt know were to start tho.

Hi i wouldn't be to concerned by the slight gap in the corners as long as the main base is supported then it should be OK. Otherwise you are looking to replace the top piece of wood which could cause more problems than its worth!

We just found a 55gallon with everything on craigs list for $110 including a wrought iron stand. I'm picking it up on Tuesday :)

Back
Top Bottom