Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to blackflag753
Tank Stands

I recently got a new tank stand for my 20 gallon tank. After it was all set up I noticed that the tank is not touching the stand in the middle. It is only making contact with the stand close to and around the corners. It has full contact with the stand on the two smaller sides. Will this be a problem? If so what should I do?[/b]

Old 11-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you mean that the stand is bowed in the middle?

Old 11-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Not sure I fully understand what your saying. Most stands do not support the full bottom of the tank but instead support the tank on all four sides of teh bottom frame.

If you sit the tank on the stand and you can see between the tank and stand then the stand is warped and should be exchanged. If the stand dips or has a high point where it supports the tank when the tank is filled this will introduce a pressure point possibly causing leak problems in teh future.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The tank is not bowing. And yes I was just referring to contact along the outer areas of the tank...where the trim contacts the stand
Old 11-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you have good contact around the entire bottom of the trim of the tank and stand then that is fine. Most stands are open when it comes to the bottom center of the tank. If you note your tanks bottom glass is probably rased 1/4" or so as compared to the bottom frame. Thus if the tank stand's bottom was solid it still would not come into contact with the bottom glass panel.

One of the reasons the bottom panel is rased is to limit the chance for a pressure point.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yeah theres just gaps between the bottom of the trim and the stand..where contact should be taking place. Sorry for not being clear
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's hard for me to envision what you're describing as well. It might be the tank frame that's the problem and not the stand. Take a straight edge and make sure all points on the stand are flat. Do the same with the bottom of the tank frame as well. In either case I'm suspecting a problem somewhere because as fishfreek says, all points on the tank frame and stand should make contact. HTH
Old 11-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah looks like the tank frame itself isnt right...not the stand. I always figured it was just because of a poor quality stand. Ok well now I dont know what to do ha ha :|
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Yep - sounds definitely like a bad stand, and that is to be avoided like the plague! If it is a particle board stand this can happen in the presence of excess moisture while being stored, so I avoid them and stick with solid wood stands. It is worth the $$ in the long run.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

If the gap is small you could try to fill the gaps so to speak with foam between the stand and tank.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Definaetly is a bad satnd take it bad and cahs in with a nice goood solid wood one or maybe even metal.

Dan

Tags
tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com