Tank Stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackflag753

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a new tank stand for my 20 gallon tank. After it was all set up I noticed that the tank is not touching the stand in the middle. It is only making contact with the stand close to and around the corners. It has full contact with the stand on the two smaller sides. Will this be a problem? If so what should I do?[/b]

Do you mean that the stand is bowed in the middle?

Not sure I fully understand what your saying. Most stands do not support the full bottom of the tank but instead support the tank on all four sides of teh bottom frame.

If you sit the tank on the stand and you can see between the tank and stand then the stand is warped and should be exchanged. If the stand dips or has a high point where it supports the tank when the tank is filled this will introduce a pressure point possibly causing leak problems in teh future.

The tank is not bowing. And yes I was just referring to contact along the outer areas of the tank...where the trim contacts the stand

If you have good contact around the entire bottom of the trim of the tank and stand then that is fine. Most stands are open when it comes to the bottom center of the tank. If you note your tanks bottom glass is probably rased 1/4" or so as compared to the bottom frame. Thus if the tank stand's bottom was solid it still would not come into contact with the bottom glass panel.

One of the reasons the bottom panel is rased is to limit the chance for a pressure point.

yeah theres just gaps between the bottom of the trim and the stand..where contact should be taking place. Sorry for not being clear

It's hard for me to envision what you're describing as well. It might be the tank frame that's the problem and not the stand. Take a straight edge and make sure all points on the stand are flat. Do the same with the bottom of the tank frame as well. In either case I'm suspecting a problem somewhere because as fishfreek says, all points on the tank frame and stand should make contact. HTH

Yeah looks like the tank frame itself isnt right...not the stand. I always figured it was just because of a poor quality stand. Ok well now I dont know what to do ha ha :|

Yep - sounds definitely like a bad stand, and that is to be avoided like the plague! If it is a particle board stand this can happen in the presence of excess moisture while being stored, so I avoid them and stick with solid wood stands. It is worth the $$ in the long run.

If the gap is small you could try to fill the gaps so to speak with foam between the stand and tank.

Back
Top Bottom