Tank stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monk3y

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 20 gallon long tank. It currently has 4 bronze cory's and 4 platys. I am planning to add at least 2 more of each of those, in addition I would like to have a 'centerpiece' fish.

I had a dwarf gourami, unfortunately even with good water quality and seemingly no tank issues it quickly died from the time I got it.

Any ideas on what might work well besides a dwarf gourami?

Any ideas on what might work well besides a dwarf gourami?

If you like dwarf gouramis, you may consider trying a Honey Dwarf Gourami. It's a different fish, and they don't have the same issues as Dwarf Gouramis do.

Check it out:

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Honey Dwarf Gourami

Their picture does not do the male's coloration justice, it's more like this:

gourami04.jpg

The reason the two pic's look different is one is just a plain honey gourami and the yellow one appears to be a Golden honey gourami. There is also a Sunset honey gourami. They are usually much more easy going fish than dwarf gourami's also.

6 platy and 6 cory in a 20g is stocked, maybe a little overstocked really. Platy have a high bioloads for a smaller fish, and the cories can grow as big as 2.5 inches. Wouldn't add anymore of either, and just try to get your centerpiece. Gourami can be weird and just die sometimes. You could try a betta.

I personally like bettas.Your fish should be compatible with the betta,and bettas are really beautiful,and the price of the fish in my lfs is 2.99.Cheap and an amazing fish!

The reason the two pic's look different is one is just a plain honey gourami and the yellow one appears to be a Golden honey gourami. There is also a Sunset honey gourami. They are usually much more easy going fish than dwarf gourami's also.

I knew there were several varieties of Honey Gourami, I had no idea mine wasn't a standard! He looks like the second photo I posted.

The problem with Betta's is you have a 50/50 chance of them working as a community fish. It all depends on the individual personality of each fish. Some are mellow and live well with other fish (we have 2 such Bettas) and others will go after and try to or will kill any other fish in the tank (we have 1 of those). So my suggestion is if you do try a Betta that you have a backup plan as to where to put him if he doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom