Tank switch ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tomorrow I will be moving my 36 gallon into a 55 gallon. I want to know the best way to do so. I am going to try and use the water from my 36 gallon. I am also using all my decorations and plants (fake). I will not be using the gravel. I will be moving the 2 filters to the new tank.
Just want to know the best way to transfer the water or if it is even necessary to do so.

Depends on how many fish you have, and what their needs for oxygen are, and how quickly you can make the change.

If it's a lot of fish, or you think this is going to take more than a couple of hours, then I'd divvy up the fish in 5 gallon buckets, and unless the ammonia or nitrates are really high (test the tank water first), I'd use the old tank water in the buckets with an airstone dropped in. I wouldn't mess with moving the water to the new tank. You said you're moving the filters.

If the levels are high in your water - say more than 1 ppm for ammonia and nitrates combined - then I'd dechlorinate water for the buckets, keeping it as close to the temp of the tank as possible.

Have you already got your new gravel rinsed and in the new tank? Best to do that tonight, if not. That'll be less time for the fish to have to wait.

I am using the same filters. And i am putting the new tank where the old tank sits. I was going to you my gravel vacuum and transfer half the water. Then move the current tank and put the new tank there and then transfer the rest of the water and then the fish. And then add more water.

You're going to pick up and move - or have help picking up and moving - a 55 gallon aquarium with new substrate and 17 to 20 gallons of water?

Would not do if I were you.

I'd drain the old tank. Move the new empty (except for substrate) tank, fill, add fish.

You're going to pick up and move - or have help picking up and moving - a 55 gallon aquarium with new substrate and 17 to 20 gallons of water?

Would not do if I were you.

I'd drain the old tank. Move the new empty (except for substrate) tank, fill, add fish.

That was the plan. But maybe not now. Was going to only fill it enough so i could move the old tank. And then move the new tank into that spot.

That was the plan. But maybe not now. Was going to only fill it enough so i could move the old tank. And then move the new tank into that spot.

Think about the weight - 1 US gallon weighs 8.35 pounds.

Just the water. Not the tank or the gravel in the tank.

Yea. Good call. After doing some research. Since i'm using everything from my current tank doesn't sound like I really need use the current tank water water.. ???

Yea. Good call. After doing some research. Since i'm using everything from my current tank doesn't sound like I really need use the current tank water water.. ???

There's no need for it. The most important things you could use from the old tank are the filters.

Make sure your filter media stays wet with tank water during the change-over.

Last edited:
Here is my game plan, let me know how it sounds.
I plan on moving the fish into 3 separate buckets, and transfer extra water into a 4th bucket. Then plan on emptying the current tank completely. Then moving the new tank into place. Adding the new gravel (that i have rinsed), and the decorations and fake plants (from the old tank) into the new tank. Then add the bucket of water the a got from the old tank and use new water to fill the rest of the way. Then will move filters, air pump, and heater to new tank. Then will add fish into new tank.
How does this sounds ? Anything else I need to do ?

Or is it better to put all the fish into 1 bucket and put the air stone in there ?

New tank won't be here till tomorrow. So i have another day to get some suggestions and figure out how to make the switch as easy on me and the fish as possible.

Or is it better to put all fish into 1 bucket with the air stone?

That depends on how many fish you're talking about, and how long it takes you to make the switch. For example, I've got two sizable shoals of tetras and rasboras, along with 6 cories in my 20 long. If I were switching them to a larger tank as you describe, I'd probably have everything choreographed down to the last detail - where IS my towel? - and put them all in 4 gallons of water in a five gallon bucket that was dosed with Amquel, had an airstone, and some floating anacharis for cover.

Sounds like you have a little extra time here.

Do you have an air pump, airline and a stone?

Yea I have a air pump, airline, and air stone

And I have a brand new storage tote. I am going to put the current tank water in and move the fish into there with the air-pump/air stone. While I make the switch.

Here is the new tank. Kind of upset because the hood and light are kind beat up. But i think i am just going to buy a new one of those don't think they are the expensive.

image-586170989.jpg

Hopefully not to lose any fish tonight. I have found if i make threw the first night the fish usually make it.

Back
Top Bottom