Tank Temp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take the lid off of the tank. You can also have a fan blow across the top of the tank as well.

I've heard that some people freeze dechlorinated water in 2 liter bottles and float them in the tank to help cool it off, but I've never personally had it get hot enough to warrant such a thing. If it were that hot in the house I'd be really uncomfortable!

1.) what size tank

2.) what type of fish

3.) in tank heater

4.) what size(wattage) is your heater

5.) what is the heater set at

6.) what's your room temp

7.) type of lighting

We need to know more so we can help.

Tank isn't too hot...
I have 2 goldfish. Temp is at 21 degrees. Just thought I would ask in case it gets any hotter. Don't have a heater in it. Just a light which isn't on all the time. Don't like taking the lid off all the time, as I had a fish jump out a few years back. Only like having lid off if I'm in the room. Tank isn't full but it wasn't when the fish jumped out!
So just want some ideas for future ref. Just in case!
I lived in Portugal for 6 years previous to now, the apartment was always cold there so didn't have temp problems, been back in England since April and an not used to warm central heated houses!
Thanks for any help anyone gives!:)

Your goldies are fine! 21c is around 70f, so the temp is good for them. I really wouldnt be too concerned unless the tank starts to get into the 80s. As Jeta suggested, frozen 2L bottles of conditioned water would provide gradual cooling effect. In extreme cases of high temps, chillers can be used to keep temps down for goldfish but they are pricey.

Thanks, I know the temp is ok at the moment but here in the UK its winter..... I'm just being prepared for when the weather gets warmer! Just in case! I like to learn!
Any other ideas will also be well received! It's all good to know!
:)

JLK, thanks about advice on top temp! Sorry forgot to say in last post! 80 is about 26 degrees c, so above this is a problem?
Thanks
:)

Your goldies are fine! 21c is around 70f, so the temp is good for them. I really wouldnt be too concerned unless the tank starts to get into the 80s. As Jeta suggested, frozen 2L bottles of conditioned water would provide gradual cooling effect. In extreme cases of high temps, chillers can be used to keep temps down for goldfish but they are pricey.

Ok first off I must ask Why dechlorinate water inside a bottle? It's frozen I'm thinking it has a cap on it so it's just a giant ice cube..right? You can still take off the lid or hood just get some lighting egg crate cut to the size you need. You now have a lid with holes that the fish can't jump through and the heat escapes. You can still put your light on top with no problems. Now if you need to you can use a fan to blow air across the top and get some evaporative cooling.

Ok first off I must ask Why dechlorinate water inside a bottle? It's frozen I'm thinking it has a cap on it so it's just a giant ice cube..right?

It's just a precaution in case the bottle ruptures. Not that a 2L bottle's worth of chlorinated water would probably do much into a large tank, but better safe than sorry.

I understand about using conditioned water just in case the bottle splits or something, that's not a problem! Better to be safe than sorry.....also understand that depending on the size of tank depends on how much of an effect an unconditioned bottle of water would have on a tank.
As I have said I am only thinking in advance. I know my water is ok at the moment.

I an living with parents and am unable to control central heating at the moment. Hopefully I will be in my own home by April or may......before the summer months.... So I won't have a problem then......but just in case in still here I wanted to know!

Again .... Thanks to everyone who has given advise ... I really do like it, it's very helpful... U know my tank is ok at the moment! Just want to know just in case!
:) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom