Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mazdaman's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmotnon, AB
Posts: 750
Tank transfer - success with mystery???

Well the last three days have been spent setting up the new 75gal. Thur. night was tank assembly and fill. Friday bagan with preping the water and filters. To fill the tank I did a "heavy"gravel vac on the 20gal to pull as much of the debris from the gravel as possible. I removed about 8gal or so of water with "gravel vac debris" and it was the first to go into the new tank. Thought this might help get some bacteria into the new gravel. I then re-filled the 20gal with new water and began to fill the 75gal. I had to dechlor. all the new water going into the 75gal so as not to kill off any bacteria with tap water. Once the tank was about 80% full I pulled the xp3 off the 20gal and fired her up on the 75gal. Once again I used another 8-10gal pulled from the 20gal to fill the new tank some more. At this point the 20 gal had about 6 hours or so to dilute the new water that was added earlier in the day.

Now tha 75gal is full and running, i pulled most of the decorations and plants (fake) from the 20gal and placed them into the new tank. All that was left in the 20gal was a large bridge decration (left for my shark to have a hiding spot during the stressful time) and wo medium plants. At that point I decided to let both tanks "rest" and I went out with my wife to do some shopping.

We returned just over 2-1/2 hours later and unloaded groceries etc... ...At this point the 75gal had run over night with a small internal (sponge) filter and about 6-8 hours full with filter. I tested the water and all seemed good (exceptm the temp was a little high at 80.5 but only around 1.5 degrees off the 20gal tank. I decided it was time to start moving fish. (I know that I will get some people saying I should have waited longer to add the fish and I agree but there was no choice in the matter due space in the house and a small leak that had dev. on the 20gal) First I thought I'd start with my 5 rainbowfish, so I filled a 4gal container up half way with water from the 20 gal and placed the fish in there with the 2 medium plants that were left (leaving the sharks hiding spot-the bridge) I then slowly began adding water from the 75gal a little at a time untill the container was half and half with old tnak water and new tank water. Then after a total of an hour they got released into the new tank. They seem to adjust ok right of the start. Good new I'm thinking time for the shark. Back into the other room and I can't see the shark... ...maybe he's really hiding up under the bridge so I get in real close and still can't see him. Here come the MYSTERY:
-some how the shark had ended up out of the tank on the floor, I quickly reached for him to place him back in the tank but he was already dry and hard. (snif, sniff, he was my first and favorite fish, R.I.F.H.) The thing I can't figure out is how in the heck did he get out of the tank. Since he was all dried up he must have been out for a while maybe he "got out" while I was out shopping. What's even stranger is that he was right under the stand and close to the back wall. I racked my brain trying to think of if I had pulled him out and I'm almost positive I didn't do it. Not to mention that he never goes near me when I'm doing maintenance. Another thought was that my cat who has chased that shark and that shark alone for the last 15 months or so, could my cat have gotten at him with the top off the tank and almost no decorations? Anyways that's my very long story on the transfer to the 75gal.

Last night the tank water tested almost perfect at:
0 nitrites
0.1 - 0.2 Ammonia
approx. ph of 7.6 (stable with what my 20gal read)

This morning the Ammonia dropped to what looked to me like 0 but there could have been a hint of green to hit. (maybe going through a "mini" cycle I think) All in all seemed pretty successful!!!

Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mazdaman's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmotnon, AB
Posts: 750
Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Transfer for fish and live rock only tank Benjithecookiemonster Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 9 06-16-2009 11:29 AM
Ok transfer of tank has begun intimatecple Saltwater Reef Aquaria 77 02-02-2009 10:42 AM
More tank transfer questions >>> Corey Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 04-18-2006 12:52 PM
Best way to transfer stuff from one tank to another? Civicman86 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 12-09-2005 12:40 PM
diatoms after tank transfer steve r Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 0 09-12-2005 09:50 PM

» Photo Contest Winners

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.