Tank upgrades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
curious what order folks would commonly do tank upgrades, if you're only able to do it bit by bit.

I've got a starter kit now, planted with a bunch o' fish, and I want to replace the filter, get CO2, new lighting, etc...

as a side question, what's involved in swapping out lighting? New lid, new ballast, and new bulbs...is the new lid necissary, and why...

best cost/performance ratio will be changing to a stronger filter. depending on the size of your tank, i would suggest an emperor. you can go canister which is even better but i love my HOB.

dont need co2 unless you are doing a heavily planted tank.

new lighting does make a difference. being new to the hobby, i would do a lot of research into what sort of lighting you would need. do you want a VHO? compact? lighting can be expensive. a better cost/performance upgrade would be to just change the stock bulb to one that outputs more or gives off a different light color.

as for new lighting, you can do the simple/effective bulb change or you can get a totally new bulb enclosure.

whatever you do, do your research and dont impulse buy.

Filter, then CO2, then lighting. Or better yet, CO2 with the lighting. I believe high light will do little good without the CO2, but CO2 still helps even without high light. This assumes, like chotie, that you intend to heavily plant. I don't think the expenses would justify it otherwise.

First I need to know what size tank you have, and what you have in it to make recommendations as to what equipment to buy. I would also go filter, c02 possible DIY then lights. depending on what size tank you have and what you want to do you can do it all for less than 100.00

Back
Top Bottom