Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank water help

About a month ago I bought a new piece of bogwood, the wood has been leaking tannin into my tank constantly, whenever I do a water change I take the wood out, replace the water and the water goes clearer again, Iíve also took the wood out and boiled it and a lot of tannin came out then but itís carrying on, is there anything I can add to my tank to reduce the amount of tannin or do I just have to wait?

Old 05-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Activated carbon in the filter will take the tannins from the water.

Make sure you change it regularly. It will only be effective for a couple of weeks, 1 month at most before needing changing.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Activated carbon in the filter will take the tannins from the water.

Make sure you change it regularly. It will only be effective for a couple of weeks, 1 month at most before needing changing.
The filter is quite small so I doubt I could get any carbon inside the filter, is there any other way I could do this?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gejegeb69 View Post
The filter is quite small so I doubt I could get any carbon inside the filter, is there any other way I could do this?
What type of filter is it? Is the type that takes cartridges? If so there might be a replaceable carbon cartridge that needs changing.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

My filter is smallish so I don’t think I’ll be able to fit any carbon in the filter, is there anything else I can do?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Perhaps add a filter that can have a bag of carbon added to it?

Otherwise, I suppose you could try putting in a few (depending upon tank size) Fluval or ExoTerra moss balls. They are fake marimo balls that have carbon inside of them, but just like a bag of carbon/cartridges, they will need changed out.. so long term, a new filter is probably more cost effective. These go directly into the aquarium, not in a filter.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptera View Post
Perhaps add a filter that can have a bag of carbon added to it?

Otherwise, I suppose you could try putting in a few (depending upon tank size) Fluval or ExoTerra moss balls. They are fake marimo balls that have carbon inside of them, but just like a bag of carbon/cartridges, they will need changed out.. so long term, a new filter is probably more cost effective. These go directly into the aquarium, not in a filter.
You mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superfish-a.../dp/B00CSZB4E6

The other option would be to get a fine grade media bag, put some activated carbon in, rinse thoroughly to remove finer particles and place that in the aquarium. Some fine carbon particles are bound to get out though, but wont harm the fish.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd use Seachems Purigen to remove the tannins as it is reusable, unlike the carbon and works awesome. I hide it behind decornor plants in the tank if I can't get it in my filter.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, Aiken Drum; that looks similar, though the other brands have more fuzzy green "moss".
Old 05-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
I'd use Seachems Purigen to remove the tannins as it is reusable, unlike the carbon and works awesome. I hide it behind decornor plants in the tank if I can't get it in my filter.
So do you just put the purigen in the tank and it will help remove the tannins without it having to be in the filter?
Old 05-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gejegeb69 View Post
So do you just put the purigen in the tank and it will help remove the tannins without it having to be in the filter?
Purigen is an alternative to carbon. Like activated carbon it can be bought loose or already in a small media bag. If you cant fit it in the filter you can either place it in the tank pre-bagged or put loose material in a media bag yourself and put that in the aquarium.

Purigen is more expensive than carbon, but once its used up you can reactivate and reuse it. Purigen removes organic wastes so will help with controlling ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I believe it isnt as good as carbon for removing medication.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've found with some of this driftwood that it takes several months to leach out. I'd take it out and put it in a bucket and change the water every few days until it leaches the tannins out if you don't want to deal with them in the tank.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #13

I’ll be going down to my LFS in the next few days so I’ll see what he recommends, I know I can get both purigen and carbon from there so I’ll have a look, thanks for the help.

Tags
ate, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com