Tank will never cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thunderwaved

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have about 7 fish in my 50 gallon tank. I set it up about 2 months ago.

I use prime everyday so I don't really know what the Nitrite and Nitrate values really are. They all appear to be 0.

Total Ammonia: Seems to be about 2.0
Free Ammonia: 0

I'm doing a 80 percent water change right now.

Two fish today just died. :(

When is my tank going to cycle? It has been two months and nothing.

Prime will not cause false readings for nitrite and nitrate. What are the readings when you test?

2 months sounds awful :( Did you use any cycle or ammonia-locking additives?

If it's been that long and you're still getting readings, I'd start the tank from scratch and do a fishless cycle. Or, if you want, dish out the cash for BioSpira and it could potentially end your cycle forever. Back when my fishless cycle was going for 27 days (nitrites wouldn't come down), I got fed up and bought some BioSpira. I put it in and the next morning, nitrite and ammonia were 0 and stayed that way.

+1 for Marconis. Bio-Spira is now Tetra Safe Start and I was stuck in the nitrite phase of a fishless cycle for 6 weeks. I got fed up, did a huge PWC, added fish and a bottle of Safe Start and within 2 days my cycle was complete. I'd give it a try, it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom