Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeBob

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I watched the new show Tanked and was wondering;

Okay, I have to ask (and maybe this is obvious and I'm just ignorant) but don't you have to cycle saltwater tanks too?

If so (and if even if not) how do these guys get away with building the tank, filling it with water and loading it with fish immediately and whatver else? I mean they put the decorations in , fill it with water, and throw 'em in and they're done.

It just doesn't seem very responsible to me, what do you think?

Thanks

The most plausible answer is they are professionals and have seeded filter systems all over the place.

Not to mention it's a show meant to show a family whose business is building the next extreme/crazy aquarium not the realistic minutiae of what makes that tank thrive after the fact. It's reasonable to suspect that the show isn't aimed at hobbyists.

Not to mention it's a show meant to show a family whose business is building the next extreme/crazy aquarium not the realistic minutiae of what makes that tank thrive after the fact. It's reasonable to suspect that the show isn't aimed at hobbyists.

That certainly makes sense. I definitely don't mean to tear down the show, what they do is very cool and interesting. Wish it was my job! I apologize for starting a redundant thread. I'm still new:banghead:

I listened to a couple of podcasts (Aquarimania and the Aquarimax podcast) where they interviewed Brett and Wayde. While this was clearly the guys making the rounds to promote the show, there was some good info provided.

In the interview on Aquarimania, it sounded like they have QT tanks at the shop where they said they can QT the stock for up to 30 days. To be efficient, they may use the same packing boxes from the original supplier, but nothing says they don't put them in QT tanks, hold them until the new tank is ready, then add the fish. I'm betting that's more likely the answer.

And I agree with you JoeBob. The things they do are really quite cool. The kids are watching, and are learning a lot at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom