Tankmate for my Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I posted, but I've been lurking around pretty regularly.

I recently bought a new tank setup for my 1 year old betta. I previously had him in a smaller fish bowl (I know, shame on me.) He is now in a 1 gallon setup with a light and filter. I know this is still kind of small, but it is really attended for him only. I was just wondering if something small like a snail or something would be ok in there with him or do I need to leave it as it is due to the size of the tank? I do weekly or at least bi-weekly PWC and he doesn't produce much waste anyway. But if it is too small for a companion, then I'm fine leaving him alone. He's pretty happy in his new home anyway.

Your betta does not require a companion, as they are solitary fish and he is truly happiest by himself. It is more interesting to have other things going on with the betta, so I can certainly understand wanting another occupant.

However, in a 1gal I would not add any other critter - it is too small. If you put the betta in a 5gal (these are usually pretty cheap setups if you go with the rectangular style instead of the Eclipse types) then you could possibly have a trio of a dwarf cory species and a snail.

I'm by no means an expert, as I just asked this same question for my betta who is in a 5 gallon:) You can check out the reply I got in the same general discussion forum - I believe the recommendations were otocinclus, shrimp, or african dwarf frog. But I personally would think in 1 gallon you might not want anyone else in there - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Either from there not being enough clean water for everyone, but maybe also due to bettas liking to have some, er, "personal space":p Maybe if he had more than a gallon he'd be happier with sharing his space. Also limited to my own personal experience, snails poop a LOT. Maybe the teeny ones are okay, but I had a baby apple snail and couldn't believe how much waste it was - luckily it was a 10 gallon community tank and I was religious about weekly water changes. My betta seems very happy in his tank too, so I may hold off on getting anything unless he starts looking really bored:-D

Okay, that's my own amateur take on your question...

Hey, that's interesting...I was thinking of putting a trio of cories (so cute!) in my 5 gallon with my betta, but was worried it would overload the tank. But it would be okay? What would you recommend for water changes with that setup?

Back
Top Bottom