Tankmate for my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a betta. When I had him in my 29 gallon, he seemed afraid of the gourami and black tetras I had in there. Now that he is by himself though, I am looking at his tank and wondering if I shouldn't get a small bottom feeder to share it with him. The tank is developing some ugly brown algae, so I thought of getting an algae eater, but it isnt' for maintanence; I can always just scrape algae off the sides of a five gallon (not fun, but doable) so that isn't really the problem, I'd just like another fish. Otos I heard to better in groups. I thought it would be neat to have a small catfish or something. Are there any bottom feeders that are small enough to share a 5 1/2 gallon with a betta, and also relatively non-aggressive? Or is that just too small for more than one fish?

You could keep a trio of dwarf cory cats with a betta in a small tank. They aren't the easiest fish to find, but are active and cute.

I've always kept neon tetras with my bettas, but I just picked up some Corydoras metae for my MiniBow 7 to give my betta some company.

Actually, I don't think I can keep anything with my betta. I bought an oto and when I let him into the tank, the betta freaked out. He started flaring and even took a bite. (Fortunately didn't actually hurt the oto) I had to scoop the poor little fish out of the betta's tank pronto. Now he is hanging out in my 29 gallon and doing just fine.

It's odd. My betta never showed any agression while he was in my 29 gallon, and I have a mix of tetras including neons, which are much smaller than him. I guess he's decided that the 5 1/2 gallon is 'his turf' and no squatters are welcome!

Thanks anyway, but I decided not to chance it with another fish.

Next time I go to the LFS I'll see if they have any snails.
Thanks!

or african dwarf frogs, they live exclusively in the water, they need to eat "FROZEN" foods though, not freeze dried. do not get african clawed frogs, (walmart typically sells them as albinos) as they get very big, and may eat smaller fish, or are blind enough to mistake anything the size of a finger as a chunk of bloodworms

No frog. If it doesn't work out, he will not be able to go in the big tank with my livebearrs, because I'm sure he would eat any fry. I think I may try a snail next time I go to the lfs. The way the betta went for my poor otto, I am a little wary about introducing anything that can't find a home in my 29 gallon just in case.

That's interesting. I've had two bettas who get along with anything, and one who flares at everybody now and then, but even the aggressive one totally ignores my ottos.

When he was in your 29 gal, would he flare at the gourami/tetras, or did he just avoid them? I would consider just sticking the betta back in the 29 gal. and seeing if a new betta was friendlier in the 5.5.

Have your livebearers had any babies yet? Do you have tons of plants in the 29 gal? I'm just wondering about your comment that a frog would eat the fry; I doubt you'll have much luck with fry surviving just letting them fend for themselves in a fully stocked 29.

I have java moss. Last night, my platy was huge and had a gravid spot. Put her in the breeding net. Took her out this morning because someone told me that it might stress her too much. Came back - no more big belly. I can't find any fry, so I don't know if they have been eaten. I thought to net them and move them to the breeder net after she gave birth. However, I have enough java moss to hide a medium size oscar. I mean, there's tons. So it is likely that the babies are hiding in there. What do you think? Should I have actually seen them by now? Or is it possible there are little ones deep in the 'jungle' of moss I have? If there are any left (assuming she didn't miscarry from the stress of being in a breeding net) there is absolutely no chance of me netting them unless I take out all the java moss and that would be somewhat counterproductive, I think.

This would be my first birth. The tank is only a few months old, the livebearers relatively new. What should I do?

On the betta- he hid from the fish in the 29 g and wouldn't come out for 2 weeks, even to eat. That's why I got the five gallon to begin with. Odd, he was the opposite of agressive. Guess now he has staked out his territory, or something.

Back
Top Bottom