Tankmate ideas for 55 gal. Angelfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cristal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up a 55 gal. Angelfish tank. I have 4 Angelfish for it and I want a few little fish. I was thinking some oto catfish for algae control, that's it so far. Any ideas?

I'm setting up a 55 gal. Angelfish tank. I have 4 Angelfish for it and I want a few little fish. I was thinking some oto catfish for algae control, that's it so far. Any ideas?

Careful with the really small fish, they may or may not end up as a snack to older angels. Otos should do great though, I love mine, you could do several in a 55g. I would start to look at bottom dwellers, something like corydoras or some of the smaller bodied loaches like botia striata "zebra loach" or botia angelicus "polka dot loach". You could do 4 of the loaches or a bunch of corys, probably like 10 or so depending on what type you get. Check out glow light tetras or rummy nose tetras if you want something to add to the middle-top area of the tank.

I added 4 otos to my 60 gallon tank today and my largest Angel has spent the whole day hunting them and trying to eat them. I don't know if that's normal, but if your angels are relatively small I would go ahead and do it

I would say cardinal tetras if you want the schooling fish, and for the bottom part of the tank I would do julii cories and a pair of rams.

I'm not sure about the cardinals. They'll likely get munched on. Have you considered dwarf cichlids? I have a pair of blue rams and am currently learning about apistogrammas, too. There a lot of cool fish that call into this category. Larger "small" schooling fish that might interest you are rummynose tetras, lemon tetras, or galaxy rasboras.

I'm not sure about the cardinals. They'll likely get munched on. Have you considered dwarf cichlids? I have a pair of blue rams and am currently learning about apistogrammas, too. There a lot of cool fish that call into this category. Larger "small" schooling fish that might interest you are rummynose tetras, lemon tetras, or galaxy rasboras.

Galaxy rasboras are TINY. Like 1 inch or something.

Oh, good lord! Your right. Put the wrong fish! I meant the scissor-tail rasbora. The slender rasbora and the elegant rasbora are nice, too.

Careful with the really small fish, they may or may not end up as a snack to older angels. Otos should do great though, I love mine, you could do several in a 55g. I would start to look at bottom dwellers, something like corydoras or some of the smaller bodied loaches like botia striata "zebra loach" or botia angelicus "polka dot loach". You could do 4 of the loaches or a bunch of corys, probably like 10 or so depending on what type you get. Check out glow light tetras or rummy nose tetras if you want something to add to the middle-top area of the tank.
Thanks for the reply, lots of options! I was thinking I couldn't do tetras because they were fin nippers? If they're an option I'd really like a school of them.

I haven't looked into dwarf cichlids yet. Lots of options to consider, thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reply, lots of options! I was thinking I couldn't do tetras because they were fin nippers? If they're an option I'd really like a school of them.

It really depends on the tetra and the size of the school. I had 5 serpae tetras that were nuts, but others on here said they were great. Plus, the more of them you have, the less they nip.

It really depends on the tetra and the size of the school. I had 5 serpae tetras that were nuts, but others on here said they were great. Plus, the more of them you have, the less they nip.
Ok, thanks! Good to know. :)

Back
Top Bottom