Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

secret_lynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal with 4 angels 2 corys and a black ghost knife fish.. I would like to add some colorful fish to the tank, any suggestions? I had a golden guaromi (sp?) and it killed my pleco and a dwarf guaromi and started nipping my angels so I removed it..

Angels can be tricking when it comes to tankmates I have mine with swordtails and dwarf gauramis. The angel were hostile toward the gauramis and even killed one but they got used to each other after awhile. I had some black mollies with them too and they killed two of the angels so I removed them. I've heard silver dollars can be good tank mates and they look quite nice together, but if you're going for color I'd recommend red and/or gold swordtails.

You could try some Mollies, they will provide fresh fry/food for your Angels and you won't ever need to worry about over population issues.
FYI: Your eventually going to have issues with this grouping of fish. :(
When your Angels mature and start breeding be prepared for fishy casualties, having a tank divider on hand will help big time (or breeding Angels can use a min 20g tall with NO other fish other than the pair of Angels) & with your Black Ghost he will outgrow your tank within a years time (they need 75g +) and any fish smaller than his mouth will become a food source once they get bigger.
Hope this info helps!!

Sword tails would work great as well. By watching your fish you can learn their different personalties and stop issues before they get bad. :)

Ghost knifes arent good tank mates for angels, and are too big for a 55 gallon tank. You should research knife fish and maybe think about either getting a bigger tank for it or finding a local place that will take it and maybe give you some store credit. Cory cats need to be in groups in order to feel comfortable, 3 more of those guys would be a very good idea. With that said, I think rainbows could be a good option. There is many kind of species of rainbows, but boesemani, and iranian are colorful. Tetras are also an option, neons, rummynose, buenos aires, serpae, and penguin and all options. Also some of the more peaceful barbs like rosy, cherry, and green would work but you would want at least 6 to keep the nipping down. You could also do ram cichlids, or other small cichlids like apisto, keyhole, and festivum.

I have seen full grown ghost knife fish at my LFS and they're probably 24"+ long and look like they could weigh 20 lbs. bigger than my cat... And they look cramped in a 125g.
As for angel tank mates I have had success with sword tails, mollies, and you might want to add a few more corys. They like to be in bigger groups of 5 or 6 minimum :)

Back
Top Bottom