Tankmates for FG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MummyDJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black moor and a lionhead goldfish, both of which are still very young. The lionhead is starting to develop his growth so don't know how much trouble it'll cause yet.

I would like to add some smaller interesting tankmates in a couple of months but due to the nature of my fancies, I need them to not be too quick but still interesting to look at.

Suggestions?

135L

That's not the problem. I just want suggestions of suitable tankmates.

You are 100% stocked as is. No more tank mates ;)

Aw. I thought my twice weekly pwc would allow me to have something like a 6 fish shoal of small fish like minnows, without it being to much of a problem...?

Well, 135L is equal to 35 gallons. For fancy goldfish, you need twenty five gallons for one, and ten gallons for each additional goldie. Which stinks, because they are beautiful. But they get so large, and have such huge bio loads, you need large tanks. Now, if you would like, you could probably add some plants such as anubias, swords, crypts, java ferns, etc. Some goldfish have an appetite for plants. So you should try one, and if they don't eat it, you should be okay. Most thick leaved plants will do okay, but you need to weigh them down because they love to root around in the gravel as you have probably witnessed many times :lol:

Another option would be a couple snails, such as apple, ramshorn, and nerite snails.

Well, 135L is equal to 35 gallons. For fancy goldfish, you need twenty five gallons for one, and ten gallons for each additional goldie.

Through the constant contradictions, the one consistent rule of thumb is 20G for first goldie and 10G for each additional. That's why I thought I might have room for a couple of small fish.

I have a black moor and a lionhead goldfish, both of which are still very young. The lionhead is starting to develop his growth so don't know how much trouble it'll cause yet.

I would like to add some smaller interesting tankmates in a couple of months but due to the nature of my fancies, I need them to not be too quick but still interesting to look at.

Suggestions?

I'm in the same boat and was thinking of getting some white cloud mountain minnows

135L

That's not the problem. I just want suggestions of suitable tankmates.

135l?!? Mines only 54l :)

NEVER PUT ANY SMALL FISH IN WITH FANCY GOLD FISH it will eat or infect it the dam things are permanently infected thats how thay got the puffy eyes
Fancy gold fish will eat anything that will fit in their mouth you do get some fish that dont but thay are the exception not the rule

NEVER PUT ANY SMALL FISH IN WITH FANCY GOLD FISH it will eat or infect it the dam things are permanently infected thats how thay got the puffy eyes

Those goldfish that have "puffy eyes" are due to being bred that way, not due to constant infection.

Also, not all small fish nip. I'm simply asking for small fish with a peaceful disposition, like the minnows (which I know are fine) to make the tank a little more interesting.

Ok, IMO I think adding fish would over stock you but that's been said. So,If you do add fish just watch their expectable temp range. I know you said minnows, so you may already be factoring in cooler water requirements. Just thought I'd throw it out there

I can't see how the op is overstocked if they have a tank twice the size of mine, I was told I have enough room for 2 more fancies or a dozen minnows.

That was what I thought untill I looked in to how the Chinese did it and it is done with a disease in the tank nothing genetic at all

That was what I thought untill I looked in to how the Chinese did it and it is done with a disease in the tank nothing genetic at all

I think you may be misinterpreting what you read. It is not a disease in the traditional sense, it is simple genetics caused by selection breeding. Here are some websites to back this up:

http://nookipedia.com/wiki/Popeyed_goldfish
(near bottom of page)
----
http://www.exoticgoldfish.net/breeds-telescope.html
----
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_Eye#section_1
(under origin)

I can't see how the op is overstocked if they have a tank twice the size of mine, I was told I have enough room for 2 more fancies or a dozen minnows.

I don't know who told you that, but they were wrong. That was why I asked, "what size tank?"

Goldfish are, as I am sure you see by looking at yours, very thick bodied fish. They are massive waste producers from both ends.

Watch them eat - they take in a bit of food, and blow some out. Fishkeepers are told to remove uneaten food. How do you remove those tiny little particles they blow out?

By vacuuming the gravel during water changes.

People who point to the Chinese method of goldfish keeping to justify overstocking tanks - where a single fancy goldfish is kept in a decorative pot with no filtration most often forget to mention how that could work.

100% water changes at least once per day.

At 54 liters (14 US gallons), you don't even have room for one, unless you're doing 100% water changes every day.

Yes I do understand. it is a disease its only genetic part is that the fish themselves have natural immunity like a comodo dragon lizard is imune to all its diseases but if it scratches you you die from them
I have studied breeding fish of most variates and spatering about dna and genetic minipulation trough breeding in farm animals and plants I know what I am talking about

I don't know who told you that, but they were wrong. That was why I asked, "what size tank?"

Goldfish are, as I am sure you see by looking at yours, very thick bodied fish. They are massive waste producers from both ends.

Watch them eat - they take in a bit of food, and blow some out. Fishkeepers are told to remove uneaten food. How do you remove those tiny little particles they blow out?

By vacuuming the gravel during water changes.

People who point to the Chinese method of goldfish keeping to justify overstocking tanks - where a single fancy goldfish is kept in a decorative pot with no filtration most often forget to mention how that could work.

100% water changes at least once per day.

At 54 liters (14 US gallons), you don't even have room for one, unless you're doing 100% water changes every day.

Well obviously I do have enough room for 1 if there is 2 in the tank.

What you don't seem to understand is surface area, it's all well and good saying that I need 20g for the first fish and then another 10g for every new fish added. You're not going to put a single fish in a drain pipe filled with 50g of water are you!

Yes I do understand. it is a disease its only genetic part is that the fish themselves have natural immunity like a comodo dragon lizard is imune to all its diseases but if it scratches you you die from them
I have studied breeding fish of most variates and spatering about dna and genetic minipulation trough breeding in farm animals and plants I know what I am talking about

If you knew what you were talking about you'd know a comodo dragon isn't full of disease, it's venum. Just as the protruding eyes on goldfish is not disease, it's inbreeding.

Lolololololol cant be botherd you dont know what you are talking about

Well obviously I do have enough room for 1 if there is 2 in the tank.

What you don't seem to understand is surface area, it's all well and good saying that I need 20g for the first fish and then another 10g for every new fish added. You're not going to put a single fish in a drain pipe filled with 50g of water are you!

Your 54l tank has dimensions only slightly larger than a 10 gallon. There is not sufficient surface area for two fancy goldfish in that tank. One of them will outgrow it very quickly.

How long have you been keeping fish?

Back
Top Bottom