tankmates for Male Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiltrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon tank that I'd like to put a male betta in. what would be a couple other colorful tankmates that would get along with the betta?

- kip

Lots of fish are good with bettas. Fish with long fins like guppies are bad. Fish like neon tetras are good. Bettas are also ok with frogs. I have a betta in with my glass cats and they get along fine. However glass cats would be the opposite of lots of color.

I have kept bettas with white cloud minnows and they do fine in a 10-gal. I would avoid zebra danios, as they really like more room than that to do their zooming. A bunch of shrimp would be very interesting, as would an African dwarf frog, or you could do any very small tetra. Avoid other labyrinth fish like dwarf gouramis, and flowy-finned fish like Megalofyia said, and you should be in good shape. I am partial to harlequin rasboras, and maybe 5 of them would work, as they stay small. Be careful, though, as it is so easy to overstock a 10.

Good luck!

Avoid BA tetras :p

Glow-lite tetras would also be good. If you've never seen one, they're basicly neons, but the blue is replaced with a shiny gold. I personally consider them hardier too.

And definately ponder snails, ghost shrimp and african dwarf (NOT CLAWED) frogs. Snails and shrimp will keep algae and waste food taken care of, and the frog will help on that somewhat since they stay around the bottom.

You could easily add say, 4-5 glowlites, 1 (maybe 2) black mystery snails, a handful of shrimp (5), and a frog or three. That would be FULLY stocked though.

Cory cats are a great choice for a betta. The problem with adding a betta to a communtiy is that often they never get to the food in time (as was the case of mine) or else they over eat from the extra food that the other fish get.

Bottom dwellers though offer the perfect addition. Cories, loaches (khulies) are great ideas as they get fed tablets and the bettas can eat their food at their leisure.

My betta can't go into any other tank because hes to aggressive.

He was attacking a bala 3 times his size the last time I tried to introduce him into the showtank 8O

thanks everyone. I was thinking of maybe a few white clouds, or the rasboras. i definitely won't be overstocking the tank.

my other thought was just having guppies in the tank, but i know not to do the betta and them cause it won't work. so i think i'll do betta with 2 or 3 little tetras, and 3-4 cory cats.

I have 3 guppies in my 38g that my betta lives in and they do OK. I think it's because they have a lot more room to establish territories. The betta owns the top right side of the tank.

Go with the rasboras. They are nice and small and very peaceful.

I have 3 Bettas and I know one is really agressive, I floated him in my 10 gallon with some neon tetras and a Cory and he flared up big time, so float them for a while and make sure he's ok with his new tankmates

:morning:

Back
Top Bottom