Tanks used for mice/rodents and their reuse as aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard that it is BADBADBAD to use a tank that was previously used to house a rodent as a fish tank.

The only reason I can see is that the ammonia 'stays in the seal' and can kill the fish. If that is the only reason, I don't know why it would be a problem, since the bacteria are there to rid the tank of ammonia...

Anyone have any thoughts or first-hand knowledge about this?

never heard of it ...

but aren't mice/rodent tanks a little 'small' for an aquarium tank ???

also, I would give it a thorough cleaning before testing it out.

The real issues are two, really....rodents do chew on seals, which can compromise them; warm dry environments can help shrink the seals a bit, too. With reptiles, I would be concerned that there would be the possibility that certain chemicals may have been used to combat external reptile parasites at some point, and some of those chemicals may be able to pentrate silicone or partially bind with it.

i would think that as long as you soak it in bleach water and then rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse with dechlor you should be able to sterilize it and it might be ok.

my 29 gal housed rats that chewed on the seal
then i had a reptile in it
and then it was out in the weather for a long time...

Hmmmm, I didn't put much thought into putting fish in it (but i was pretty fish ignorant when i started with aquariums)... but its holding up after 3 years!

Aside from the chewed seals, another related concern is the risk that the tank was leaking in the first place. A leaky aquarium often gets reincarnated as a reptile tank. If you decide to make the switch, I would advise an outdoor leak test.

I agree also. Strip the silicone and clean it and reseal it. Also, check the glass really well because my gerbils actually scratched the bottom glass and made it very fragile. They were in there for 3 years but they did damage the glass.

Wonderful, all this advice is wonderful, thank you :) Now I know what to do if sometime in the future I decide to make a switch over. And now someone else with the same question can see all these wonderful answers here :) You guys rock. :mrgreen:

also, true reptile terreriums won't have the same thickness of glass as an aquarium, because it doesn't need to hold back 300lbs of water.

malkore said:
also, true reptile terreriums won't have the same thickness of glass as an aquarium, because it doesn't need to hold back 300lbs of water.

good point... I have come to notice that alot of people keep reptiles in standard fish aquaiums though.. I have one that was just given to me and the specs. are of a standard fish aquarium.. assuming you would know how thick the glass is suppose to be.. HTH

edit-what size is the tank and how thick is the glass?

Back
Top Bottom