Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaramwhite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a piece of Mopani Driftwood, and I've boiled it at least 10 times. Tannins are still being released. I remember reading somewhere that seachem had a product that clears up your aquarium water from the tannins? What product is that?

I bought a piece of Mopani Driftwood, and I've boiled it at least 10 times. Tannins are still being released. I remember reading somewhere that seachem had a product that clears up your aquarium water from the tannins? What product is that?

Mopani is a beautiful wood, but it carries a *lot* of tannins. I don't recall a product from Seachem, unless maybe Purigen absorbs it. Now that I think of it, Seachem Matrix Carbon should remove tannins, and it's longer lasting than regular carbon, from what I've read.

+1 on Purigen. It's the best. Enjoy your new driftwood! ?

Activated carbon does a better job than Purigen in terms of removing tannins. If the tannins accumulate, just put some activated carbon in the filter for a couple days and your water will be crystal clear. For long term use in a planted tank, Purigen is the way to go. For short term heavy tannin removal, go with activated carbon. I used both to remove tannins that had accumulated in my tank.

To all those using Purigen is the regwnerations as labour intensive as the instructions on the site seem to indicate and do you have any recommendations on being sure of no bleach contamination as I have a peice of mopani releasing tannins 6 years later & am now really tired of my beige water - although the angels tetras & corys don't seem particulatly bothered by it LOL

I have an older planted tank that I allowed the tannins to accumulate somewhat. I kind of enjoy the natural feel of the tank. But to someone not as earthy as me I totally understand. not wanting the tea tank syndrome

I once used a bag of Purigen in the filter on my shrimp tank that has several pieces of Malaysian DW. Water was clear (as seen when doing water changes with a white bucket). Purigen got very dark so I did the recharge with a bleach solution. It lightened up a bit but developed this horrible sulfur smell. Repeated bleach and rinse sessions did not help. Ended up throwing it out.
DW still releasing tannins after 3 years.

We have Purigen in all three tanks. I've recharged multiple times. It's not hard at all. You put the bag in a bleach and water solution and let it sit overnight, stirring a couple of times. Rinse it with clean water. I usually use a boatload of Safe (like a teaspoon!) add let it soak for four hours, swishing it about a few times. You could also just let it dry out completely.

I'm with you jobin13. Unless you are running a saltwater tank, I think that a slight tea tint to the water looks better and more natural than crystal clear. Not many rivers, lakes or streams fit that bill.
I aquascape all my tanks with limestone. The white rocks sort of balance out the stained water.

Back
Top Bottom