Tannins in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long will it take for my driftwood to stop turning the water brown? It's already been in the tank for a month. I boiled 2 or the pieces for about 2 hours before putting them in the tank, but the one releasing tannins now was to big to boil so I just put it in knowing it would effect the water color, but hoping it would go away eventually. Do I need to pull that piece out and soak it in an ice chest?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It very much depends on the piece in question. I have had pieces that sopped leaching after a couple of months and some that are still leaching tannins 7+ years later.

What kind of wood is it?

I'm not sure to be honest, it wasn't labeled at the store. The 2 pieces I boiled where monopi and the other looks like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410018615.700053.jpg it's the long one across the tank

Add Purigen to your filter media. It will pull all of the tannins out of the water. Mopani wood is mostly the culprit. It can leach tannins literally forever. I had the same issue. I just added Purigen yesterday. I'll let you know how long it takes to clear my water. ?

Add Purigen to your filter media. It will pull all of the tannins out of the water. Mopani wood is mostly the culprit. It can leach tannins literally forever. I had the same issue. I just added Purigen yesterday. I'll let you know how long it takes to clear my water. ?

Hmm I may have to try. Do you know anyone who has had success with it?

Thanks a ton! I may be getting some of this, I have been having issues with ammonia and nitrites as well because our tap water is full of then so this will help with more than one problem!

The purigen should definitely help remove tannins.

You need to make sure that you have the type of filter which allows you to add additional media to it as the purigen needs to go inside the filter.

You need to make sure that you have the type of filter which allows you to add additional media to it as the purigen needs to go inside the filter.

I have an aquaclear 70 filter, would it fit in there?

I used purigen to clear my tank of tannins. It cleared in 24 hours. The purigen turned black pretty quickly but subsequent purigen has lasted much longer. I rate it.

Will the purigen help my tank cycle faster?

Okay, I was just wondering, thanks guys!!!

I have a large mopani. I boiled it several times over the course of about 3 months and kept it in a pail. At the end of 3 months it barely tinted the water. But, at the end, when boiled it would still release a lot.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Activated charcoal also removes tannins, maybe a bit cheaper? And you probably have some already if you have a Aquaclear

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have some in my filter, can it be put in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom