Tattooed Fish. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeynuna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Relocated to St. Louis with job. From NYC and soon
Tattooed fish? Really?

I went to my LFS this afternoon and couldn't help but notice these beautiful, brilliantly white Balloon Mollies. Then, I noticed several with colorful polka-dots, a few with pink and blue hearts glaring off the side of their body and at least two with the word "Love" written on their sides. What the F#@%. I've seen pictures before and have read articles about it. But this was happening in China and other far away places. This is the first I've seen them sold in a local store and I visit a lot of aquarium stores in my area.

Have we gone insane? I can't say I've ever peered into my display tank and said, "ya know, that fish would look great with "Mom" tattooed on him." Although, who was the first person that saw the lobster and said "bet ya that would taste great with drawn butter." Anyway...

Putting the fish under and injecting ink into them just seems cruel. Wheres PETA? I would put money down that if i shaved my cat and tattooed the Tasmanian Devil on his ***, I would be in court for animal cruelty but a fish, sure what ever, do what you want.

Well, I just wanted to rant. Anyone wanna add to this, great. Would love to hear other members views.

I've seen these too, but how exactly are the fish tattooed? Is it genetic modification like glowfish danios, or are they actually tattooed?

url

I don't think that can possibly be genetic

Forgot the smily at the end.. err frowny ><. It came out worse than I meant it, sorry...

I've seen these too, but how exactly are the fish tattooed? Is it genetic modification like glowfish danios, or are they actually tattooed?

They are injected with dye.

The reason animal cruelty laws are all about dogs and cats, is that they're cute. Cows are branded, sometimes horses too. Even they have some restrictions on them, such as x number of acres per cow.

However, fish (and most invertebrates, insects, etc) have so such restrictions. They can be treated at the owner's discretion. :(

I guess that's why so many hermit crabs in boardwalk stores are sold in such horrible living conditions, like cages, even though they love humidity.

In a way it is good. I got into airsoft over the past year, and in Canada, there are sooo many restrictions. Regulation can be good or bad... The extreme would be ridiculous (maybe more ridiculous for some fish) prices for fish, possibly even permits, but that is waayy down there.

that's so twisted.... kind of ironic that of all things they choose to "tattoo" onto an innocent fish is a pink heart..

They are dipped, painted and injected (tattooed), all methods are horribly harmful to the fish, and result in many initial deaths from the actual methods, subsequent deaths/slow deaths from infection and in many of the best cases a shortened lifespan.

Visit, Death by Dyeing.org - Shades of death

Greed & Ignorance... Pure & Simple.

And if you think that's bad, you should see some of the deliberate mutilation of fish for aesthetic appearances.

Whoever came up with the idea of tattooing fish was a greedy selfish idiot. Oh how I wish I could punch them :mad: lol.

PETA= extremism. Extremism= no one takes you seriously. PETA= a big bad joke.

Vote with your dollar. No agencies need get involved if that happens. ;)

Back
Top Bottom