Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TDS meters - worth getting?

I've been reading up on TDS and looking at some of the TDS meters one can get.

For somebody with two smallish freshwater tanks, is this something that's worth getting? My reason for looking into this is because over here where I am, it's not possible to buy the all in one API testkit. I've got to buy a separate kit for every substance - ammonia, ph, nitrate, etc - and they are incredibly expensive because of the exchange rate.

I don't intend to replace for example, the nitrate test, but I would like some other less expensive way to keep an eye on my water levels, not always have to do a nitrate test.

Would a TDS meter be worthwhile for this? For general "is my tank healthy" checks?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
I've been reading up on TDS and looking at some of the TDS meters one can get.

For somebody with two smallish freshwater tanks, is this something that's worth getting? My reason for looking into this is because over here where I am, it's not possible to buy the all in one API testkit. I've got to buy a separate kit for every substance - ammonia, ph, nitrate, etc - and they are incredibly expensive because of the exchange rate.

I don't intend to replace for example, the nitrate test, but I would like some other less expensive way to keep an eye on my water levels, not always have to do a nitrate test.

Would a TDS meter be worthwhile for this? For general "is my tank healthy" checks?

Once you become more and more familiar with your tanks and your weekly routine the nitrate test become less and less frequent. Like right now I know my nitrates are below 20ppm and will still be at the end of the week. I only test it once every few weeks 'just in case'

TDS meters are handy tools to have for water matching when acclimatising but since we don't really know what levels of TDS are considered harmful it can't really tell us much.

Everything you do adds to the TDS of the water. TDS will creep just from atmosphere.

What you could do is measure the TDS after a water change. Stick to a solid routine thorough the week and measure the TDS at the end of the week. As well as the nitrates. If you stick to this exact routine you should be able to correlate your TDS reading at the end of the week with a rough nitrate reading. If your TDS is well in excess of what you expect then you know the water quality may need looking at (removing nitrates)

That said nitrates and TDS will not necessarily be closely linked during any one reading as TDS accounts for many many things. You will still need to check your nitrates just for piece of mind and know that the TDS show rises steadily and slowly over the months. How fast or slow depends on the individual and their tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
meters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com