TDS total dissolved solids for african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been trying to figure out what is the right TDS ppm and it seems even my very reputable LFS couldn't answer that. But what my search for answers has found was that certain fish have certain needs like Discus need a really low TDS but not to low because u still need minerals and things in the water for your fish to be healthy. In the other hand african cichlids have a higher tolerance and actually need TDS in the tank To function there salt/water intake through the gills and kidneys. But again if it's to high it will cause problems. So in my estimate between 300-500ppm for Africans and like 50-300 for soft water fish depending on the fish of course. These are just my opinions from what I have read and talked to people about along with personal experience. I have read that lake Malawi was like 150-250ppm TDS but I find that hard to believe with the Gh and Kh being so high on top of other minerals and organic matter in the water. One other site I read had a TDS 600ppm for Tanganyika but that's all here say. Right now my tank is at 415 TDS with ph 8.2-8.4 gh12 kh12 and my fish seem to be doing good so far. My tanks been established about 8 months I just recently changed my water parameters from 7.6 gh10kh5 to 8.4 gh12 kh12 and it's been 1 day so far fish look good seem to be eating very well. The only thing I noticed that was different was my synodontis Petricola catfish were playing in the open water more. Before I hardly ever seen them.

What is too high and too low ? Variations are from 80ppm to 180ppm in the spring in my house. GH5° KH2°. Tank water is at 500 ppm before a monthly WC... (ferts?, dechlorinator?, BBs?)

With a low ppm like that from the tap you should be housing discus lol..not sure what fish u have but sounds like u need a 75% water change min to bring down that TDS reading. But depends on your fishy' needs of course. And as far as fertz go I try to not add anything that isn't a must have.

With a low ppm like that from the tap you should be housing discus lol..not sure what fish u have but sounds like u need a 75% water change min to bring down that TDS reading. But depends on your fishy' needs of course. And as far as fertz go I try to not add anything that isn't a must have.

Dechlorinator is a must have, ferts too. I'm heavyly dosing CO2, the light is strong and the plants grow a LOT. Fishs seems healty, shrimps too. Lol just took a reading from my tanks, my SW is out of range (really lol?), my 29g 330ppm, my 10g 180ppm, my GF's betta 710ppm, and the tap 75ppm.

I'm housing 2 species of shrimps, cardinals tetra, neons tetras, rummynose tetras, lampeye (normand's), a SAE...

I'm testing with this cheap thing (I calibrated it myself with a 100 mg salt bought on ebay)
TDS_0.jpg

Here's my tank

The beta tank is really high I wonder why maybe ammonia in the tank or something raising it

The beta tank is really high I wonder why maybe ammonia in the tank or something raising it

1-2ppm ammonia average in this tank... No filtration. (That's not my choice).

She use Nutrafin Betta+ (I think they say to use more product than needed)... The TDS raise from 100ppm to 500-600 when adding the cap of dechlorinator.

She have it since 2 years now (I'm impressed), he (she) still look healty, but not happy. The bucket is less than 1g. Sometime I give him a couple of rest in my 10g QT tank (to keep cycle hehehehe).

1-2ppm ammonia average in this tank... No filtration. (That's not my choice).

She use Nutrafin Betta+ (I think they say to use more product than needed)... The TDS raise from 100ppm to 500-600 when adding the cap of dechlorinator.

She have it since 2 years now (I'm impressed), he (she) still look healty, but not happy. The bucket is less than 1g. Sometime I give him a couple of rest in my 10g QT tank (to keep cycle hehehehe).

That's weird it shot up that much from dechlorinator. It must have other properties to it to do that. I use prime and it only raises mine 25 ppm.

Yeah I change 40 gallons of water and add 1 capful of prime witch covers 50 gallons my TDS comes out to 275 with baking soda and Epsom salt added it's still under 300ppm so not sure why yours is so hi from just that

Only 25 ppm, eh? ;)

Yeah now I use Prime instead Nutrafin Aqua+

Prime: 5ml/50g
Aqua+: 5ml/1g

Also Prime is a LOT more cost efficient and better for temporarly decreasing ammonia poisoning damages.

I use it since one month... Probably for this reason TDS dropped in my main.
I'll try it on my GF's betta tank, 1 drop for 1/2 gal.

Prime is the only way to go. It only reduces ammonia for like 24 hrs.. Its great cost wise compared to other kinds just because of the ratio used per gallon.

Really weird I checked my parameters today and all was good except my nitrates where high and just yesterday I did a 50% water change nitrates where 5 ppm today they were 80 ppm that's crazy in one night my nitrates went through the roof. Must be changing the ph and Gh,Kh had an affect in some way with the nitrates. Usually I go a week and it don't get as high as 80 ppm. I curious what tomorrow brings now lol. Hope not more nitrates a guy can only do so many water changes a week lmbo

Really weird I checked my parameters today and all was good except my nitrates where high and just yesterday I did a 50% water change nitrates where 5 ppm today they were 80 ppm that's crazy in one night my nitrates went through the roof. Must be changing the ph and Gh,Kh had an affect in some way with the nitrates. Usually I go a week and it don't get as high as 80 ppm. I curious what tomorrow brings now lol. Hope not more nitrates a guy can only do so many water changes a week lmbo

Are you testing nitrates with a two bottles test kit ?

Bottle #2 must be shaked for kit with two bottles, and bottle #3 must be shaked for kits with 3 bottles.

Last bottle must be shaked like hell, for at least a minute, bang it on a table... There's something (active chem) that precipitate and glue to the bottom of theses bottles... This is probably why you test low one day, and the other day you get a high value of nitrates...

This is not true with RedSea test kits for saltwater, they're really accurate and doesn't need a shake.

Yeah it's been shaken very well as I always do and it's a somewhat new test kit so I know it's accurate. After 50% water change it is now back down to 10 ppm so it was for sure high. Not sure what made them go up like that. I'll just check tomorrow to see if it happens again. I have had that happen though where the NO3 test failed because I didn't shake it good enough so I know what you mean by shake the crap out of #2 bottle. Thanks for the heads up on that though.

Back
Top Bottom