teaching fish to eat from the top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHZR2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, this may sound dumb, but how do you teach a fish to eat from the top? My tetras dont know to look up there for food. They just get some of the food as the water discharge from the filter knocks some from the surface down into the water.
My two ghost shrimp know theres been food added to the water as soon as I pour it in, thats the only way I can easily find them. The tetras dont like leaving the bottom, and so only eat what comes down there.

I have a betta that does the same thing, he doesnt go after the food I sprinkle on the top, but climbs and pokes around the bottom of the jar looking for bits.

I feed them all every other day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JMH

Hmm I'd try putting my finger on the glass and slowly move it up and see if my betta follows. My bettas did the same thing but I had to lightly tap on the glass to get its attention before it followed my finger it only took me about 2-3 days before he got it. Hope that helps

Just put your fingers under and release the flakes underwater. That way they will fall down to the tetras. Are there any real reason you want them to eat at the top other than thats what you think they should do?

Another thing to consider is the "mood" of the tank. Is there a particularly aggressive fish in there with them? I had a school of white clouds (top dwellers) who all moved to the bottom when I kept them with a dwarf gourami, and though I never saw the gourami do anything, they would not come to the top, even to feed. Just a thought! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom