Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20G with 5 guppies and 2 cories. I'm planning on getting more fish. (6 more cory cats and around 7 Cardinal Tetras.) But the problem is it's been getting hot here and when I come home, the tank is usually 80 degrees F. It cools off at night, I have my tank heater set at 76. Is this temperature fluctuation okay? None of them seem unhealthy in the slightest, they're swimming all around the tank. If this will hurt them, what can I do to keep the tank cooler?

I have read that if you are home while it gets hot you can put water bottles that have been frozen in your tank. But only do that if you are home. Do you have a fan or air conditioning? If you have a fan, keep the fan in the door way of the room your tank it in. Have it facing into the room your tank is in. If you have an air conditioning you can keep it in the next room over from the room you have your tank in and have the fan facing the room your tank is in. Hope this helps. :)

Its fine. You just don't want a drastic quick change in temp. Think about it, all bodies of water in nature fluctuate in temp, its just gradual.

But doesn't that kinda of temp change effect algae/bacterial growth? Idk I'm somewhat new sat all this but iv been doing alot of research.

Though ur statement on temperature change in the wild makes since. Glad to be aboard.

Thank you for all of the advice! I'll put the fan like you said and not worry about it, because I'm sure it's a gradual change. Thank you. :)

I don't think fluctuating temperature will cause a problem with bacteria/algae. If you get much higher than 80, you might start running into issues though.

Back
Top Bottom