temperature for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was wondering what the average temp for a cichlid tank was. It has an assortment of differant types of africans (no specifics) so exact biotope range is kinda out. Right now its about 85F almost 86F. Is this to high will my fish start having problems.

you have too high a temp for them. they'd do better at temps around 78F. if you have aggressive species, its better to keep the temp lower - around 76F.

Thanks man. I guess now I have to find a way to pull the water temp. down. Maybe start with a fan in the canapy to cool down my pc's. Cant turn down heaters dont have any.

You could try the fan, also add some cold water a bit at a time to the tank to cool it down, don't want to do it too fast though.

aim the fan so it blows on teh surface of the water. it'll increase evaporation to cool the tank, but you'll have to top the water off to make up for the added evap.

8O And I thought my tank was bad at 80 degrees. It seems like I read somewhere that the max temp for cichlids is 79.

Once the temp gets above 82F in my ARLC tank it's like a prison riot just broke out. They get very active and aggression goes through the roof. Cooler water means cooler heads :p

Africans prefer cooler waters if from the lakes as a ot of the lake fish are found 10-25m down temp around 75-78 is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom