Temperature of water change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would you say is a safe range of temperature difference between the tank water, and the water change water?

I have my water change water in a barrel and heat it with a heater to match the tank temp, but recently I found that something had gone wrong with the heater and the water was about 5 degrees celcius cooler than the tank water. That's about 9 degree farenheit. I hadn't realised this at the time and I'm wondering if this might have contributed to some mystery deaths I had in my tank.

Would that be enough to stress my fish?

I know that for many species, cooler water can trigger spawning, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

The fish in question were silvertips and sword tails.

Depending on tank size and volume changed it might not affect the temperature of the tank more than a degree or two.

As long as it's not a drastic change in temperature you should be fine.

Caleb

I usually do about 30% change and never seen more than 2 degrees F. change in water temp. I use a water changer and so temp coming out of the tap is only a guess. That is why i try to keep changes to about 30%. if you changed 50% with 9 degree difference, by the time you factor in gravel, glass and decor i doubt if you actually changed as much as 4 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom