Temperature seems too high...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a glass thermometer today and placed in my 11 gallon tank with tetras and livebearers inside, the thermometer shows a temperature of 31 Degrees Celsius! 8O This seems too high for those fishes right? But i feel the water with my hands, its quite cool. The thermometer is accurate, I place it in the fridge and the temp drop constantly. Hmm I would like to know that if this kind of temperature would bring harm to my tropical aquarium fishes in a long term basis?

I just posted one of them just now, but it came out to be two, I had no idea why my topic became two, could admins or moderators help me remove one of them? Sorry for that.

Yes, that is too high. That works out to about 87*F. I wouldn't keep them at anything higher than about 80*F or 26*C.

My local room temp shoot up to 36.9*C today, I can't do any thing to the water if its that high, even if I place ice cubes into the water, it would decrease the temp a little for just a short period, and the temp would be 31*C again. What should I do?

Mansiz,

We are going to have a rough time helping you on these issues, as most of us are from Northern climates, or at least have air conditioning. I truly don't mean to be mean or rude, but you should check with some local shops or aquarium societies or clubs in your area. I bet they would be able to give you the best advice on what to do in your situation. Singapore has long been on the leading edge of many aquarium issues, and supplies many fish to the trade. I'm positive if you look around a bit in your town/city you can find some real experts who can help you out. If you can do this, please stick around and tell us what you learn.

do you have a heater in your tank? if so turn it off and leave it off...I live in the hot so cali and the heat is now hitting triple digits and making my room hot since its on second floor and heat rises...I turned the heater off and the water temp. in the tank is at 79 degrees. If the water starts feeling warm when you touch it with your hand, then I would suggest doing a small water change with a bit cooler water but not too cold. There is also an expensive way to keep the temp. down by buying a special aquarium cooler...which is not worth buying for an 11 gallon tank...goodluck...hopefully you can beat the heat.

I live in Phoenix, AZ where it was 105 today. Without a chiller my water temp was 84-87 degrees in the summer. Now that I am setting up a reef I got a chiller. It was expensive, but I am pleased not to have to worry.

Back
Top Bottom