temperature variances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minzabella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
when you do a water change how much do you need to worry about temperature? I keep my tank at about 76-78 (f) and I'm talking about a 20%-30% water change here.. I've been trying to make sure the water is close to that, but I'm sure I'm not as close as I think I am. how much will this affect the fish?

What i do is take my tank temp and write it down, and then take the thermometer out and put it in the bucket i use to put my water and run the water the exact temp give or take a few degrees to make it less stressful on the fish alos i never chabge more than 30% of water at a time.
Also add aquaruim salt to decrrease stress.

Dan :)

As long as you're close you're OK. Remember, in nature there are variations in water temp daily.

Also to add a treat my fish as good as anything i take excellent care of them and make sure that they are not stressed.

Dan :)

I would follow Dan's advice and use a thermometer. They are very inexpensive and it's worth it to prevent stress to the fish. You don't need to worry about getting it at the exact temperature, but doing it by hand you probably aren't as close as you think.

Of course temp flucuations occur in nature, but you just want to make sure you aren't making your fish jump from a hot tub to an un-heated pool, or vice versa. It's just not fun. ;)

But that's just my opinion. :lol:

-brent

thank you for the info. when you add aquarium salt, do you add it straight to the tank or do you let it dissolve first? I've been adding it to a small bowl of water and letting it sit a while before adding it.. I have four little corydoras that patrol the bottom of the tank, it seems like it would be bad for them to swim around with big chuncs or salt, or am I being overly cautious? what do you think?

Yea, by adding it straight to the tank you can cause salt burns. You should be adding it to something and mixing it up first before adding it to the tank. You are doing it just right.

You don't necesarilly have to let it sit for a while, but I guess it can't hurt as long as it doesn't all just settle back to the bottom of your bowl. But do make sure and mix it up good and then add it.

Just curious minzabella, why are you adding salt? If your fish are healthy there is really no need. I know some people have been informed that a certain amount of salt is good. I feel it should only be used a medication. It irritates the skin and causes the fish to produce a slime coat. Good in some cases but not in all. JMO

I believe she has some sick fish that she is treating, so all the more reason to try to keep the temp as close as possible, within 2-4 degrees if you can.

Interestingly enough, the human hand is an excellent thermometer! If you place your hand in the tank and then in the flow of tap water, you can get the temperature almost to within 1 degree of each other. Keep going back and forth until you think you are there. (That's what I do, anyway :wink: )

i use a dedicated fish bucket which i have equiped with a stick on thermometer that matches the ones on my tank. it seems overly simplistic to me.

Back
Top Bottom