Ten gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. I have a ten gallon tank and I have a black Molly, Dalmatian Molly, gold dust Molly, sunburst Platy, glowfish, and a small black lace angel with two ghost shrimp. Is there any other fish I could have in there?

With your current stocking I would not recommend adding any other additional fish. :) I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Angel will need a tank of at least thirty gallons. :(

You may get some more views if you have a moderator move your thread to a freshwater forum. :)

Moved to Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion.

I am sorry to say that most of the fish you currently have aren't really suitable for a 10g tank. Mollies, glofish, and the angel should be in something bigger.
Your platy is ok for that tank though. I suggest you re-home the other fish a bigger tank and get your platy a friend or a school of nano fish.

Well my angel is barely out of fry-hood and I will move him to a bigger home we he gets big. My other fish are fine and my ammonia and phosphates are high but I know how to control them. Thanks for the help ?

I am planning to get a bigger tank I just need to get the money. I am so hoping to get a saltwater in the future

jrskater1999 said:
Well my angel is barely out of fry-hood and I will move him to a bigger home we he gets big. My other fish are fine and my ammonia and phosphates are high but I know how to control them. Thanks for the help dde04

Only thing about mollys is their bioload. I would watch nitrites nitrates and ammonia also do PWC every week or less. I agree with them ^

jrskater1999 said:
Hello. I have a ten gallon tank and I have a black Molly, Dalmatian Molly, gold dust Molly, sunburst Platy, glowfish, and a small black lace angel with two ghost shrimp. Is there any other fish I could have in there?

You are way overstocked
The angel and mollies need 30 gallons
The platy I personally wouldn't put in anything below a twenty
And the glofish needs a school of 5-7 or more of it's own kind( can be different colors) minimum of six for which you really need a twenty preferably a thirty
The angel will most likely snack on the glofish if it gets a chance
I wouldn't add anything at all until you rehome the fish I mentioned

emerald76 said:
You are way overstocked
The angel and mollies need 30 gallons
The platy I personally wouldn't put in anything below a twenty
And the glofish needs a school of 5-7 or more of it's own kind( can be different colors) minimum of six for which you really need a twenty preferably a thirty
The angel will most likely snack on the glofish if it gets a chance
I wouldn't add anything at all until you rehome the fish I mentioned

+1 I couldn't of said it better myself.

I thinking of getting rid of the glofish, sunburst Platy, and the hold dust Molly. Is that good? If so could I get a panda Cory?

No all the mollies need to go. You can keep the platy and the glofish if you get your glofish 5 more friends. After that you are stocked. The only thing you could add is a couple shrimp.

Thats a step in the right direction. :)
Mollies grow pretty quick IME and so if you plan on putting your 2 remaining ones in the bigger tank when you can get it, make sure not to wait too long. :)
IMO, panda cories aren't a good idea for a 10g tank though some people disagree. What you heard of dwarf cories? They only reach and inch and do very well in 10g tanks.
There are some other really cool options for a 10g tank, but you will need to be a bit careful because of the angel. Some of these fish can be pretty small and even a small angel could eat them. However, if you want to get totally different stock, I suggest you look into chili rasboras, ember tetras, jellybean tetras, clown killifish, Norman's lampeye killifish, and celestial pearl danios.
If you would rather stick with what you have, you could get another platy or 2 or couple guppies for your tank once the other fish in a bigger tank.
Also, if your ammonia is high, you need to do more frequent or larger water changes. Since you said the ammonia is high, it wouldn't be good to add more fish right now.

Thanks angel. I think I might go with the rasbora and tetras. I like the black Molly because I have had her for over a year so I'm gonna keep her. Thanks for the help everyone!!

jrskater1999 said:
Thanks angel. I think I might go with the rasbora and tetras. I like the black Molly because I have had her for over a year so I'm gonna keep her. Thanks for the help everyone!!

How soon will you be getting a bigger tank.

calfishguy said:
No all the mollies need to go. You can keep the platy and the glofish if you get your glofish 5 more friends. After that you are stocked. The only thing you could add is a couple shrimp.

The glofish need a twenty preferably a thirty
Do NOT add a Cory youd need 6 or more and there are already way to many fish in the tank
At the very least rehome the angel and mollies ASAP

jrskater1999 said:

You can't keep the Molly in the ten
It will become stunted just like the angel will

emerald76 said:
You can't keep the Molly in the ten
It will become stunted just like the angel will

I had a Molly in a two gallon for over a year and it didn't die

jrskater1999 said:
I had a Molly in a two gallon for over a year and it didn't die

Poor fish :( my friend had a molly in one of those big plastic Cheetos container (maybe gallon 1/2) for a month I almost killed him.

Back
Top Bottom