Terra cotta pots in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reechard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My venus fly trap didn't make it, was left outside during a huge storm, all the traps closed up and it just kinda wilted away and died. But that's for another forum. I was wondering if anyone could think of any reason why this couldn't go in my tank as decoration. As far as I know those pots are just clay like any other rock in there so it shouldn't be a problem. My only worry is it may have had a chemical treatment or something.

i got a venus fly trap for my graduation...another forum i know

as long as it is unglazed, or made with a lead free glaze i wouldnt worry

Mike469 said:
You are talking about just the clay pot correct?
:lol: Yep.
I found a couple of other threads on here that had done this and hadn't seen a problem so I rinsed it out good and put it in there. I've got this little baby cory that swims through the hole in the bottom over and over. What a guy.

I have a clay pot in each of my tanks. Trying to cover them with Java Ferns.

Busted the side out of one and my Otos like to get in there and hide at times.

Terra cotta pots in fish tanks are fine- as long as they're new and unused. You have no way of knowing what type of insecticides, fertilizers, or other chemicals have contaminated a used pot. Unglazed pots are porous and could easily absorb these chemicals, which could then be released into your aquarium.

I'd get it out of the tank quickly and get a new, unused pot to replace it with.

Back
Top Bottom